Print 

Author Topic: Mysterious Lag Issues  (Read 1949 times)

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
Mysterious Lag Issues
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
Ever since I've jumped back into the servers a couple weeks ago I've been experiencing this very odd, yet consistent lag, regardless of my ping in the server. Anyone who has been driven by me has certainly noticed this. It usually happens like this: Every minute and a half or so, I will start moving at about 1.5x times the normal speed, lurching forward at a faster pace than a hog usually goes for roughly 5-7 seconds. This happens across every map and every server that I go into, whether I'm driving or not, and regardless of who may or may not be in the server as well.

I've played around with the settings for a week or so, but nothing seems to be changing it in a significant way. If this isn't an easy fix, it's not too big of an issue (it hasn't seriously affected my gameplay, though gunning has become much easier for me to deal with than driving), but I would prefer that it be solved. Any information on what could be happening is welcome.

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Mysterious Lag Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »

That's exactly what happens to me, due to wireless internet.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:27:52 AM »

Yep ^^^.

'Sounds exactly like a wireless network to me....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Tanxs1

• Posts Too Much
  • There there, it's ok....
    • Hehehehehe...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:30:56 AM »
+1. Me is wired and a few people in the server started pointing out the lagg (we was in the server at the same time). And I was seeing things, weren't I widget? :P

I think it's the server's problem, not ours. Either the lagg will go away, or if it gets too bad somebody can reset it. Np.

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:33:45 AM »
I still don't understand laptops (which I'm assuming that's the situation here).

If you insist on your portable computer device, I'd still run an ethernet cable to wherever you will usually play halo.  You can find relatively cheap cables online.  Don't go to Best Buy because they practically charge you $1 a foot!

I really like wired networks... wireless is like volunteering to be inconvenienced.

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:54:17 AM »
I encounter the same problem regularly playing online games, it is my net modem itself, not the wireless. Not sure why, but after the modem is left running for 24 hours it starts to lag, have to power cycle it to get it to go away.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:17:18 AM »
I encounter the same problem regularly playing online games, it is my net modem itself, not the wireless. Not sure why, but after the modem is left running for 24 hours it starts to lag, have to power cycle it to get it to go away.

It's an excellent idea to power of/on the modem and router (if you use one and I hope you do) one time every day.

I keep both those pieces of equipment in my room because nobody else would reset things if I didn't do it.  They're on the same 7-in-1 plugin, so I just flip it off, grab a soda, then come back and pop it back on.  No problem!  xD

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:22:28 AM »
You shouldnt need to though, it should run longer than 24 hours without a problem. Although Linksys hardware is notorious for dropping IPs after 12 hours.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
That's what I'm thinking, oh well, the wireless is even worse at my school, and my 360 is using the ethernet cable, oh well, looks like no racing for me at school :undecided:

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
That's what I'm thinking, oh well, the wireless is even worse at my school, and my 360 is using the ethernet cable, oh well, looks like no racing for me at school :undecided:

Buy an Ethernet hub/switch at your local electronics store for $20 and wire them BOTH!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »

Buy an Ethernet hub/switch at your local electronics store for $20 and wire them BOTH!

I like how he thinks!  ^

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »
Getting another ethernet cable isn't an issue (my school sells them for $10). In order to have multiple wired connections at my school I have to pay extra for the internet connection (around $50 or so I believe), which I really don't wanna do. I survived about 4 months away from the track, roughly 7 weeks won't hurt :P

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Print