Print 

Author Topic: screenshot format? [Fixed]  (Read 1622 times)

Offline a victim

• Junior Poster
screenshot format? [Fixed]
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
I have an issue with viewing screenshots using Irfanview (which is a freeware image editor and viewer) but the .tga files view fine in Quicktime Viewer, it;s just that QuickTime viewer is an irritating program.

IrfanView just shows a black screen for each saved screenshot.

Now, it could be my OS which is Vista 64-bit, and IrfanView doesn't work nicely with 64-bit OSes...

So, what software do you use to view screenshots?

I'm specifically after freeware (not shareware, and definitely not Photoshop)

NB I apologise for the Vista bit. Someone has to have it! lol

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:03:58 PM by BFM_Octane »
Danger Canyon = 76.33    Gephy = 54.23
Ice Fields = 68.33            SideWinder = 90.05
Death Island = 55.80       Infinity = 99.20
Infinity all Navs = 90.40   Blood Gulch = 62.87
Timberlands = 47.53        Infinity (Walking) = 286.53 ;-)

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: screenshot format?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »

I have an old version of Paint Shop Pro that displays them.  I *think* the built in windows picture viewer thing did too?

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »
Ah we use Infranview at work... Cant stand it and have had same issues as you describe in your post, we are still on XP at work so i dont think its because of the OS

Im pretty sure Vista comes with a standard paint program. Can't remember the name though but its not called Paint anymore (as it was called on previous versions of Windows), that i do know.

Last resort, you can always download GIMP. Like a free Adobe Photoshop clone just search GIMP in Google and its the first result in the search. Call it an investment program as you get into the use of it youll get into the whole creating signatures and general artwork as it comes with many editing features. There are loads of much simpler image viewers free to download though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:36:54 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »
On my Vista it's called 'Paint'....under the Accessories tab. Then again I have Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »

Why don't you try another program to take screenshots? I assume if your screenshots are .tga format, you're using the -screenshot feature with Halo. Maybe not. Anyway, if you don't mind having another program running in the background while you play, Xfire and Fraps work well for screenshots (and short, poor-quality video) and are free. They also save as .jpg (if you don't mind the ugly jpegginess) and can be viewed in MS Paint.

GIMP will open .tga and I have Paint.net (another graphics editor), which will also open them. Both programs are free.

gimp.org
getpaint.net

Offline a victim

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »

GIMP will open .tga and I have Paint.net (another graphics editor), which will also open them. Both programs are free.

I'll install Gimp, just seems a bit heavyweight  really. I use gimp in linux,, so fairly familiar with it (and it's irritations!)

In fact I might have a look at the .tga files I have from the normal Halo screenshot in linux, and see if I can find out why Irfanview doesn't display them. It seems to suggest that they only contain one colour ie black, which is just weird.

Thanks for all the replies.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »

The Truevision TGS (aka "Targa") image format is obsolete, outdated, and a poor performer compared to more modern image storage formats. Hence there are not a lot of programs that read or write in that format any more.

GIMP is your best bet for "converting" them into a more modern interchange format.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline a victim

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »

The Truevision TGS (aka "Targa") image format is obsolete, outdated, and a poor performer compared to more modern image storage formats. Hence there are not a lot of programs that read or write in that format any more.

GIMP is your best bet for "converting" them into a more modern interchange format.

Well, I installed gimp in Windows, and that won't display them either. I tried gimp in linuix, and various other image viewers, and had very little luck until I installed Picasa. So I've instaleld Picasa in Windows, too, and that displays them.

All a bit weird...

I've not hada problem with tga files before. I use a ray-tracing program called POVray and that can output tga files, and not had a problem with those...

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »

They're probably older....

...And I'm confused that .TGA format does not show up in GIMPs "Save As..." format list for you?!?  (My version is OLD - 2.4.5 - and TarGA format is in the "Image Format" list....)

Oh well. You seem to have a working solution now....

Mark title in first post with "Fixed?"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:34:23 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print