Print 

Author Topic: If you can't walk Infinty why can you walk Death Island?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
If you can't walk Infinty why can you walk Death Island?
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
Why is walking death island allowed?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:03:22 PM by Desus Agape »

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
Re: If you can't walk Infinty why can you walk Death Island?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:34:06 AM »
Well the main reason is because you can get to the other base if you dont have a hog and maybe jack one along the way on Death Island. On infinity no hogs spawn at the other base. So it is much quicker to wait on a hog. Also on Death island there a times when all hogs spawn at one base meaning no hogs will spawn at the other. If you spawn at the base with no hogs what would you do if you couldnt walk?

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:09:21 AM »
yes sir.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:25:55 PM by Desus Agape »

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:43:44 AM »
There is absolutely no reason to be disrespectful.  You asked a question and we answered it.  If you don't like the way our servers are set up you are free to play somewhere else.  BFM has been running, by a large margin, the most popular race servers in Halo for over 5 years.  That did not happen by accident...it happened because we just might know a little bit about what we are doing.  In a game of race, where your goal should be to get laps as fast as possible, walking away from the only place that hogs spawn...on the largest map in our rotation no less...is not a good strategy for helping your team get laps and win the race.  Getting laps and helping your team win is what you are trying to do right?

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
NO no i am very sorry. honestly i had to go right before i wrote the post and no respect was ever intended as text is not accompanied with a voice. I know BFM to be a very forgiving community, and Elvis is very nice, I will do my best to promote healthy positive dialogue with no neutral remarks again.  :)

More to the point...
I was just shocked by the answer as in every case suicide from one base to another it always faster then to walk. 

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
More to the point...
I was just shocked by the answer as in every case suicide from one base to another it always faster then to walk. 

But you were asking about Infinity.  Committing suicide on Infinity will only get you a 15 second penalty and spawn you right back in the same spot every time.  And what does that have to do with walking?

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
No i was talking about Death Island...I think Elvis understood that, as his post pertained to it.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
Got ya.  well one way to look at it is that we allow walking on all of our maps...except Infinity.  Death Island is not a special case where we allow walking...Infinity is the unusual exception to the normal rule that walking (when no hogs are available) is allowed.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I hope it makes sense.

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:15:54 PM »
oh you are look at it from an enforcement standpoint not a logical or practical standpoint. I was looking for a practical answer. lol

Because right now i have not heard a practical defense.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »

Elvis and Booyah already gave you the logical, practical reasons.  I can rephrase it if that will help. 

Infinity is by far the longest map.  Almost twice as long as Death Island (about 100 seconds vs 55 seconds).  When you consider that Death Island has hogs spawning at both bases, so you only have to walk halfway around to get to a hog, then Infinity, having no hogs at blue base, is effectively 4 times longer.

You can't get killed walking and "spawn ahead" to your next nav on Infinity because you always get returned to red base, where if you'd waited, you'd have a hog by now. 

I don't think it's physically possible to walk Infinity in the time it takes for one of the teams to get 15 laps and win.  So you're doing your team no favors.  By the time you walk to the very nearest nav, a hog will have spawned, and you could have been on your way.  There's just no reason to walk.  Either a hog will have spawned, or a teammate will come by long before you could have walked even halfway.

We allow walking when there are no hogs on other maps because a) sometimes no hogs at all spawn at one of the bases and b) if all hogs are taken from one base, it may be a long time before one respawns, and other maps have tunnels, teles and shortcuts so the walker can get to the other base in a reasonable time.  Not so on Infinity.

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:55:32 AM »
Practically, you have found walking from one base to the other is faster then suicide?

Ok so from experience you can safely say walking Death Island was worth it?  

No one will argue it is better to wait for the hog to spawn then to walk death island.

You bring up one and only one exception to walking, if odds are 1 in 100 that there are no hogs spawned at your current space you can safely say that walking to the other base will be faster then a suicide to the other base?

I just want to hear a "practical" testimony, as i can not personally supply you with one myself.

Simply put, from personal experience alone (and i think most will agree) walking death island has NEVER
 EVER payed off.

Again this is a desperate call for a single testimony (that has still not been supplied) for walking death island.  If you can not provide a single practical testimony for walking death island, then i think everyone will agree by default the rule (or lack of rule in this case) is rendered worthless, thus effectively disbanding all use of theory. Yes, the answer lies in the practical testimony, is that not the very reason we have these rules? 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:11:45 AM by Desus Agape »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 05:00:19 AM »

I think it would help if you asked your question again, or clarify the subject of this thread with more than just a question mark.

No one ever said you can't kill yourself. Someone might have suggested it's not always a good idea, but go ahead and do it if you don't have a hog. If you feel so strongly about it, why not?

Are you asking "why is walking allowed on Death Island"? Do you think we should have a similar rule for Death Island like what we have for Infinity? Infinity = no walking away from the base, and Death Island should also = no walking away from the base?

Are you suggesting we have a rule that, if there are no hogs at the base on Death Island, players cannot walk away? They can only leave by hog or suicide?

I'm trying to understand your argument, and that's the best I've come up with.

Also, in my personal and practical experience, I've intentionally killed myself before and respawned in the same place. Did it again, and respawned there again. That's two 15-second penalties. 30+ seconds and I didn't go anywhere on the map. You're very right that a 15-second penalty is faster than walking to the other side, but there is no guarantee you'll spawn at the other base. But I obviously don't have your good luck when it comes to killing myself.

I will always choose to walk if there are no hogs at a base. It would seem to be better for the team too, because while I'm waiting out a suicide penalty, I could have been picked up by a teammate and helped defend them, or hijacked the hog of an enemy while walking to the nav. Or hey, maybe I'll get killed and spawn at the other base, so many possibilities!

The only guarantee you get from suicide is a 15-second penalty. We'll always allow and encourage people to use that 15-seconds better.

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
*claps for Jane*

Yes personally have never found it beneficial to walk. And i can not think of a scenario where is would be beneficial.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
Well we will just have to agree to disagree on that point.  You are welcome to develop your own opinions of course but just keep in mind that, in response to you bringing your question to us, you had a group of the most the most experienced Halo racers in the world offer you their advice about walking maps.  It certainly could not be a bad idea to give some consideration to the advice of such a group.

Offline Desus Agape

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
And if you may extrapolate that advice into a practical testimony  booyah,elvis..kiwi. Then there would be no disagreement whatsoever.

Aka: once when i was racing on Death Island walking paid off (and this is why)

all i ask for.

Print