Print 

Author Topic: Low Disk Space?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
Low Disk Space?
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:16:55 AM »
Recently I keep having these low disk space messages pop up. I thought/think It's a virus, so I ran my full anti-virus scan. Got some stuff out of my system, but still the messages continue. They're complete lies too, because when I was Installing Halo CE It tells you how much room you have left on each drive. I have over 1000 on D and about 500 on C.
The error messages are always on C. Everything I have downloaded recently has gone to D, so that's odd. I deleted some programs that were not In use on C, got the room It wanted to free up. Then later on It takes away what I had just free'd up and says I have 17 MB left
  :liljawdrop: :AOL:

Add me on Steam!
I lived in the days of Tanxs when he was but a kid.
BFM clan only scrims were my favorite. I was so proud to make it into the ranks of this clan, but proud enough to let that be my downfall.
I am only happy that I got to experience such a legendary clan.

Offline Còól

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is uncertain, Death is not
Re: Low Disk Space?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:12 AM »
Mxy will post soon but he will need some info. First off what operating system are you using? Second I assume from your message that you have 2 hard drives? If you do which one is the main drive? Also when you said 1000 and 500 is that MegaBytes or GigaBytes?

BFM_CòóL IS CòóL!!! - Love, MiG

A CòóL ORIGINAL

If life has not scarred you, you have not lived it.

You Have All The Weapons You Need,
Now Fight!!

Ill give you a cookie if you can tell me what that last quote is from!!

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:29:14 AM »
Will post when I get back from church.

Add me on Steam!
BFM clan only scrims were my favorite. I was so proud to make it into the ranks of this clan, but proud enough to let that be my downfall.

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:33:06 AM »
Sounds like a recipe for hard drive failure. Could be worth doing a hard drive disk check if you have software either on windows on that came with pieces of your computer (ie Motherboard drivers on mine). Clarify what Cool has asked for and Mxy should be able to give a more definitive answer. To add to Cool's question if there is a second drive is that currently problem free, or problems occuring there as well?

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
what operating system are you using? Second I assume from your message that you have 2 hard drives? If you do which one is the main drive? Also when you said 1000 and 500 is that MegaBytes or GigaBytes?
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647).....2 drives, C & D....C Is the main drive....MegaBytes
To add to Cool's question if there is a second drive is that currently problem free, or problems occuring there as well?
D Is problem free.

Add me on Steam!

Offline OBOLeader

• Regular Poster
  • Established thread killer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »
well no wonder youre getting low disc space on c. 500 Megabytes on c is very low and you barely have anough for some small, low graphics game. also since you have 100 mega on d, you have 1 gig left.
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/NewTooru/
Discord: Tooru#1375
Battle Net: Tooru#11787

Offline Còól

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
Yeah you have got both drives almost full. A thumb drive has more than a Gig these days. 1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes. So on 1 drive you have less than half 1 gig and on the other you have just under 1 gig. Your getting a low disc space error because you have low disc space.

A CòóL ORIGINAL

Now Fight!!

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »
So...gotta get ride of some programs eh?

Add me on Steam!

Offline Vincitore

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Use CCleaner for starters. Should free up quite a bit, depending if you have used it before.

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
Oh, I didn't even know I had It till I looked.
Got rid of 442 MB

Add me on Steam!

Offline Còól

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »
Yes you need to get rid of some stuff. What is up to you but honestly I think the best thing to do would be to upgrade. Do you know what your total Hard disk space is?

A CòóL ORIGINAL

Now Fight!!

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »
I think 1GB...

Add me on Steam!

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
Maybe you mean 10 or 100? :eek:

Offline Còól

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
Well I am sure it is more than a GIG. Find me on vent and we will figure it out

A CòóL ORIGINAL

Now Fight!!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »

Ya, you need to free up or procure more disk space.

First off, it won't hurt to do a "check up" on what's there now, so open My Computer, and for each of your two drives: 1) RIGHT-click the drive and select "Properties" from the pop-up. 2) Select the "Tools" tab and then the "Check Now..." button; then the "Start" button.  Dismiss via "OK" button when scan COMPLETES SUCCESSFULLY.  3) If scan DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY AND WITHOUT ERRORS, DO THE SCAN AGAIN UNTIL IT DOES.  4) Do this for each drive.

Now that all drives are "okay" you can move on to doing cleanup.

Use suggestions given here and things like Window's Disk Cleanup (if you're sure about the stuff that it's going to delete!) that will do things like empty your Recycle Bin. You should have AT LEAST 15% FREE ON EACH DRIVE just to run Windows successfully/well.  If you can't clean it up to get to 15% free or above, then it's time to consider getting a new/bigger/another drive.

Finally, once you've cleaned it up and have > 15% free space, you'll want to "defrag" it all for better performance overall.  Once again, open My Computer, and for each of your two drives: 1) RIGHT-click the drive and select "Properties" from the pop-up. 2) Select the "Tools" tab and then the "Defragment Now..." button; 3) Select the "Defragment" button in the popup.  4) Dismiss the informational popup after the pass completes, and RERUN THE DEFRAG THREE MORE TIMES. (Yes, I said that.)  5) When the last pass is finished dismiss all created windows via "OK" button or upper-right-corner red X.

GL!

P.S. A computer today really needs AT LEAST 4GB of C drive space to run reasonably....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print