Print 

Author Topic: Skyrim (The time is here!)  (Read 44635 times)

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
Re: Skyrim (The time is here!)
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I still cannot play Skyrim because of the heavy lag. It seems to take just below a minute for it to initiate. Everything is running perfectly up until that point.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:48:44 PM by BFM_Elkric »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
Unfortunately, I still cannot play Skyrim because of the heavy lag. It seems to take just below a minute for it to initiate. Before that, everything is running perfectly.

I saved my saves (heh), completely uninstalled the game (and made sure the stuff in the My Games folder was gone too) then re-installed (put my saves back) and my lag problems went away.

Seems that you cannot undo some of the changes that you can make manually (in the options menu) and are better off leaving things the way their installer extracts from your graphics device....  (However, I think if you make only small adjustments to the view ranges that's okey...?)

On another note, I just went into my Active Effects to assure that something I did was there, and noticed that I had contracted Witbane (Majika generation -50%!) - I think from a Sabre-toothed Tiger that jumped me earlier.  A Cure Disease potion did the trick, but I think it also taught me to listen to this one guy I run into a lot when I'm around my house in Whiterun (Breezehome.) He sometimes says to me as I pass him by "You look pale." !!!  :o

The game keeps amazing me yet!

P.S. But how can he see my face under that Legendary Krosis mask?!?  :siderofl:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:57:38 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 06:08:40 PM »
Unfortunately, I still cannot play Skyrim because of the heavy lag. It seems to take just below a minute for it to initiate. Before that, everything is running perfectly.

I saved my saves (heh), completely uninstalled the game (and made sure the stuff in the My Games folder was gone too) then re-installed (put my saves back) and my lag problems went away.

Seems that you cannot undo some of the changes that you can make manually (in the options menu) and are better off leaving things the way their installer extracts from your graphics device....  (However, I think if you make only small adjustments to the view ranges that's okey...?)

I have tried re-installing the game. That did not work. And my computer was actually formated yesterday and Skyrim installed anew today. Not much on it now but Skyrim, Warcraft III, Halo and free space. I copied over just the one save file plus the auto and quick saves from an external harddisk after the Skyrim folder under My Games was recreated.
Changing any graphics settings from the highest down to the lowest does not seem to make any difference.

I walk from Breezehome and pass the Whiterun city gates, walk down the path leading down to the stables. When I am to choose weather to take a right or left turn, I am greeted by the Lag.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 10:28:50 PM »

I have tried re-installing the game. That did not work. And my computer was actually formated yesterday and Skyrim installed anew today. Not much on it now but Skyrim, Warcraft III, Halo and free space. I copied over just the one save file plus the auto and quick saves from an external harddisk after the Skyrim folder under My Games was recreated.
Changing any graphics settings from the highest down to the lowest does not seem to make any difference.

I walk from Breezehome and pass the Whiterun city gates, walk down the path leading down to the stables. When I am to choose weather to take a right or left turn, I am greeted by the Lag.

Um, that was my point: Changing the graphics settings AT ALL IS WHAT CAUSED LAG FOR ME.

Once you've changed them, no amount of fidgeting with them will correct the lag, hence the re-install.... (I went through it three times to be sure that was the problem for me, BTW....)

Just making sure you did nothing with it and tried playing it at least once before making any changes....

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »
Just played for 8 hours in one sitting (literally).  I just got so much done I can't even remember most of it...

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »

Um, that was my point: Changing the graphics settings AT ALL IS WHAT CAUSED LAG FOR ME.

Once you've changed them, no amount of fidgeting with them will correct the lag, hence the re-install.... (I went through it three times to be sure that was the problem for me, BTW....)

Just making sure you did nothing with it and tried playing it at least once before making any changes....

Sorry. Yes, I have tried playing without changing anything after re-installing. Both times.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »

Sounds like it's not detecting your Graphics Adapter properly then....

It just occurred to me that it hasn't been mentioned yet: You're not trying to play it on a laptop (with it's woefully under-powered/shared - and hence slow) graphics memory are you?...

Did you check it out with Can You Run It?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »

Wow.  Majorly-odd bug I've got now:

Whenever I try to talk to the NPC Leigelf in Dawnstar the game instantly crashes on me....  :bang:

...And Hevnoraak in the Valthume Barrow (quest: "Evil In Waiting") was the toughest major NPC I've encountered! (Man can he dodge!)  Sweet Dragon Priest mask (also named Hevnoraak) tho! (Immune to diseases and poisons*!)

* Except Falmer and Chaurus tho...  ::)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2011, 01:39:58 AM »

Ya, I'm in a bit of a slump too....  I worked so hard to clean up my masses of open quests, and now that I've thinned it out it's started to seem like "work" a bit....

But that won't stop me!  :LOL:

Anyway, I finally put Fraps on this system and have been taking some videos and screenies!

I'll get around to posting some of the videos in a while, but for now, here's a couple of screen shots I enjoyed, and think you will too!:

What's wrong with this picture??  ::)

This is why Witches shouldn't party so hard: This sort of thing is the result....:

:LOL:     :siderofl:    :winkgrin:   

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »
I agree with your dungeon complaint, Lowkey.  I feel, with as much creativity that went into the recent Fallout games, Bethesda could have made MUCH more original dungeons.  The standard format is okay sometimes, but their team has more than the necessary amount of creativity to formulate a lot of original ideas for dungeons.

(Plus, on my Wood Elf, kiting the end boss is WAY too easy in the linear style dungeons.  They go so long that I can just outrun the boss and get far enough away from him to /wait an hour and get all my magicka and health back.)

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2011, 10:55:05 PM »
I agree with your dungeon complaint, Lowkey.  I feel, with as much creativity that went into the recent Fallout games, Bethesda could have made MUCH more original dungeons.  The standard format is okay sometimes, but their team has more than the necessary amount of creativity to formulate a lot of original ideas for dungeons.

(Plus, on my Wood Elf, kiting the end boss is WAY too easy in the linear style dungeons.  They go so long that I can just outrun the boss and get far enough away from him to /wait an hour and get all my magicka and health back.)

LOL. Surely the boss heals himself in an hour?

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2011, 08:33:41 AM »
Actually no, the boss stays the exact same health  :LOL:

(I heal up all the way though)

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »
Actually no, the boss stays the exact same health  :LOL:

(I heal up all the way though)

Ugh. Really? I'm all for dog tactics for killing the harder enemies... but that pushes it a bit.

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
Got Skyrim yesterday :yesyes:
Got to Whiterun? Killed a dragon, then everyone's telling me to try to yell, and I looked up the key for it, try it a few times, but it doesn't work :S
Am I missing something?

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
Try binding it to something else and using that key.

Print