Print 

Author Topic: Xfire won't show up in game?  (Read 5817 times)

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
Xfire won't show up in game?
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
I am running Windows 7 64 bit. X-fire shows up in everything BUT Halo. In-game overlay thing is turned on in the options. I tried setting it to disable desktop composition (Which fixed a problem I had been having with Minecraft).

What other information would you like, if you need any at all?

Things I've tried so far:
*Made sure In-game was active (checked) and not disabled (unchecked)
*Ended processes and programs such as Fraps and Steam
*Went into msconfig and turned off anything starting up at start up
*Compatibility mode (Halo, X-fire, both, and neither)
*Reinstalled X-fire
*Ran both as administrator
*Let the program load up fully before trying, also loaded halo first then X-fire
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:46:55 PM by bfm_ÐeviÑ »
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
Re: Xfire won't show up in game?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:49:38 AM »
There are 2 places you will need to check have a look at the image below and the highlighted areas if a remmber  corectly one of these  was turned of then i installed  xfire and that disabled ingame xfire.

Ether way while xfire is a good tool it is usless for ingame use for 2 reasons

1: It destracts you in the server and the time it takes to stop and respond you are afk in the server.

2: It causes a seprisingly high level of gameing lag and often causes pin spikes

Its for these reasons  i have ingame  disabled as personaly it serves no purpose

Offline BFM_Ðragons

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »
Another Thing.. Are You Running Halo And Xfire As 'Administrator'?

Thanks to  bfm_Dusaro For The Sig!

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
I prefer to use X-fire in game only when I have to, but that being said, I would still like to be able to at least READ what someone is saying to me while I am in game, even if I have to wait for a response. Also, since I have small tags, if I am the only one on vent and need a big tags, it is probably easier to check x-fire than to sit around on the forums and wait.

The first box is checked, second box unchecked.

And Dragons, yes to both.
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »

Just uninstall and re-install, it fixes everything.  :P

Your games and friends will still be there, so no big deal.

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
2: It causes a seprisingly high level of gameing lag and often causes pin spikes

Its for these reasons  i have ingame  disabled as personaly it serves no purpose
I've often heard people say this, but I've never noticed it happen myself. I've been using Xfire since I first started playing Halo in 2007 on dial-up, and I've since gone through DSL, consumer cable, business cable, and the internet my college provides to their on-campus housing, and I've never noticed any lag spikes from Xfire.

Feijoa Freddd

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »

Just uninstall and re-install, it fixes everything.  :P

Your games and friends will still be there, so no big deal.

Was worth a try, but it didn't work. XD

Also, Freddd, I have had a few times where it didn't give me lag in game, but it caused my vent ping to go up quite a bit. But it hasn't ever really been too bad.
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
This used to happen to me all the time. I'm not sure how you work It, but If you load Xfire every time you login to your computer, let It detect the games when It first loads. I used to skip that part, but I let It run now. And It works, but there are some other factors, like the ones listed above.

But for the most part, my Xfire In-game goes on all the time now, but I didn't used to. It has a mind of Its own, and does what It wants no matter how much you tweak It.

Add me on Steam!
I lived in the days of Tanxs when he was but a kid.
BFM clan only scrims were my favorite. I was so proud to make it into the ranks of this clan, but proud enough to let that be my downfall.
I am only happy that I got to experience such a legendary clan.

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »
This used to happen to me all the time. I'm not sure how you work It, but If you load Xfire every time you login to your computer, let It detect the games when It first loads. I used to skip that part, but I let It run now. And It works, but there are some other factors, like the ones listed above.

But for the most part, my Xfire In-game goes on all the time now, but I didn't used to. It has a mind of Its own, and does what It wants no matter how much you tweak It.

I let it load all the way every time. Good advice, but it didn't fix my problem. Thanks, though. :)
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
It might be a setting that you actually change in-game. I completely messed mine up by changing a setting in-game (in the xfire ingame screen)

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 06:32:26 PM »
It might be a setting that you actually change in-game. I completely messed mine up by changing a setting in-game (in the xfire ingame screen)

I haven't been able to open the in-game screen since I installed, though. :P

Keep the thoughts coming....we might just solve this yet!
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »

...But are you also running Halo (at least, dunno about what xfire supports now...  ::) ) in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode as well???

Otherwise you're at Microsoft's whim as to how well their 32-bit compatibility mode runs within W7 64-bit.... (Hint if THAT worked well, why would they have the "Compatibility Mode" settings, hmmmm???  ::) )

*edit* I just checked: xfire is a 32-bit EXE, but I do NOT run it in any special compatibility mode (on my Win7 64-bit system) and it seems to run fine....

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:26:34 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »

...But are you also running Halo (at least, dunno about what xfire supports now...  ::) ) in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode as well???

Otherwise you're at Microsoft's whim as to how well their 32-bit compatibility mode runs within W7 64-bit.... (Hint if THAT worked well, why would they have the "Compatibility Mode" settings, hmmmm???  ::) )

*edit* I just checked: xfire is a 32-bit EXE, but I do NOT run it in any special compatibility mode (on my Win7 64-bit system) and it seems to run fine....

As far as I know, there are some 32 bit programs that you need to run in compatibility mode, even if you are on a 32-bit operating system. (So I don't think it will ever work THAT well :P)

I've tried any combination I could think of (Halo compatibility mode, xfire not; both in compatibility mode, halo not in compatibility mode, xfire in compatability mode, etc.) and got nothing. I have checked the X-fire support forums (or what I believe is their forum. haven't actually verified it) and other people have been having similar problems, and it is just an X-fire thing. Could be any combination of computer hardware, running processes/services, video drivers, etc. I was just hoping someone here would have something that I hadn't read there. And, quite frankly, I like the responses I've gotten here way better than the ones that I've seen other people get over there XD

If anyone else has any suggestions, or you have something to add, feel free to let me know. I think for now, though, I have given up hope. But I will keep trying different things if you guys post. I will edit my original post with all of the things I've tried so far.
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 06:18:14 AM »
Have you tryed uninstalling it yet ? and if you have did you locate the xfire folder and then deleat the remaining contence? Reason i ask this is becuse when you uninstall xfire it leaves behind sertain settings / config files. So if you  havent deleated them manualy its posable that when you ununstal and reinstall its picking up the old settings and any problems would reapear

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »

FYI: If you uninstall Halo WITHOUT ALSO UNINSTALLING THE PROFILES you're wasting your time (since the problems can sometime result from the saved stuff....)

I always suggest that you RENAME the "Halo" folder within your "My Documents\My Games" folder to something like "Halo-old" BEFORE uninstalling.  Once you've re-installed Halo, create a new profile and see if things are "fixed," and if so, exit Halo and try swapping the names of those two My Games\Halo folders. Try again and see if it still works.  If not, you have a corrupt file in your My Games\Halo folder....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print