Print 

Author Topic: Randomly Turning Off  (Read 3934 times)

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
Randomly Turning Off
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »
My keyboard, now for the 3rd time In about 5 weeks has turned Itself "off". It just stops working and the Num Lock light goes off along with everything else. I thought the first time that I might have kicked the computer and nudged the cord out a little. But that has proven to not be the problem. The only resolution I have found Is that I have to turn off the whole computer.

The keyboard and mouse are no more then 14 months old. I really hope this doesn't get worse.

Any solutions to this? Former or current experiences?

Add me on Steam!
I lived in the days of Tanxs when he was but a kid.
BFM clan only scrims were my favorite. I was so proud to make it into the ranks of this clan, but proud enough to let that be my downfall.
I am only happy that I got to experience such a legendary clan.

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
Re: Randomly Turning Off
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
My keyboard, now for the 3rd time In about 5 weeks has turned Itself "off". It just stops working and the Num Lock light goes off along with everything else. I thought the first time that I might have kicked the computer and nudged the cord out a little. But that has proven to not be the problem. The only resolution I have found Is that I have to turn off the whole computer.

The keyboard and mouse are no more then 14 months old. I really hope this doesn't get worse.

Any solutions to this? Former or current experiences?

What brand is the keyboard? Is it USB or PS/2 (it would be purple)? If it is USB, does this error happen in other ports?
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »
It's Microsoft

Add me on Steam!
BFM clan only scrims were my favorite. I was so proud to make it into the ranks of this clan, but proud enough to let that be my downfall.

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
It's Microsoft

He meant does it connect via a USB port or is it the keyboard port? (idk the tech term for that port)

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »
Do you plug it into one of these?

Or one of these?

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:49:37 PM »
I'm guessing it's not, but you should also say if it's wireless.  Them things are a pain.

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »
I thought the first time that I might have kicked the computer and nudged the cord out a little.

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:32:13 AM »
Hmm. could be a problem with the cord meaning a short in the wire or in the port used to plug in the keybord. try other keyboards if u have any and see if u get the same result. also try other ports if its a usb
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »

I could have figured that myself, but I misread your Q. And I do not have another keyboard atm.

I'll try another port when the Issue arises again.

Add me on Steam!

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
It seems to me that if the keyboard lights (like num lock) go out and can't be turned back on, it would be a hardware problem.  Trying another USB shouldn't make any difference - all that has to do with is the driver.  If you type devmgmt.msc and find the keyboard under "human interface devices", you can right click and uninstall the keyboard driver.  The keyboard will still have power and num lock will still work even though it's been uninstalled from the system.  Having numlock totally go out really makes me think that it's not something you can fix without actually taking it apart.  If you did choose to uninstall the keyboard driver to perform my little experiement, plug it into another (or the same) USB, and the driver will automatically be installed and good-to-go again because of Plug and Play.  You don't even need Windows Update for almost any keyboard to work properly - working keyboard drivers are right in the BIOS.

I honestly think that it's a physical hardware problem, like the copper wires inside the cord have been broken apart OR the insulation from the wires has worn apart and copper wires that were separated are now touching, which would cause short circuiting (like Zeek pointed out).  Obviously, kicking the USB loose from the computer would also cause loss of power.

I think you need a new keyboard... or just put up with the problem.  I've been wrong many times before, but I really feel confident in that answer.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:57:53 PM by ROCKHPC »

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
 Trying another USB shouldn't make any difference - all that has to do with is the driver.

That is not entirely true. USB ports can go bad. If you have something in a USB port and forcibly remove it, it could easily damage the port. I have seen this happen both on computers at school, and a port or two on my laptop. My phone won't charge on the port on the right of my laptop, but it WILL charge on the one on the back and left of my laptop. It used to charge on the right, but it doesn't anymore.

So if you have enough open USB ports, I would try that first, as it is a simple unplug/plug in. If that doesn't work, then the cord is probably damaged.
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 03:06:41 PM »
Yeah devin you're right... that stuff can go bad too.  In fact, my PC's headphone jack port is busted too.  I wouldn't even know how to replace that without getting a new motherboard - cuz it's all attached, right?   :doh:  Hooray for trying different ports - sometimes inconvenient ones in the BACK of your PC...

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 01:23:49 AM »
Mmk. Well Its definitely the cord, cause I tried other ports earlier when It messed up, but nothing changed.

Add me on Steam!

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 03:21:59 AM »
Mmk. Well Its definitely the cord, cause I tried other ports earlier when It messed up, but nothing changed.

-Hands ØRiK a pair of scissors- make it wireless? :P

Looks like you're gonna need a new keyboard. :S Sorry. Unless you are some sort of electrician and can find/fix the broken 'spot' in the wire?
Selling FREE PWNkakes™

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 03:57:57 AM »
[...]
Looks like you're gonna need a new keyboard. :S Sorry. Unless you are some sort of electrician and can find/fix the broken 'spot' in the wire?

I "fixed" a mouse about 4-5 days ago that had the same problem.  The laser wouldn't light up when it was plugged in and the computer was on (sometimes it worked, others it didnt - if you tugged the cord a little it stopped working), so I took it apart.  I immediately saw that there were some colored wires where the insulation had worn off and the copper wires inside were touching (short circuiting them).  I managed to get the wires separated and insulated again with electrical tape and heatshrink tubing.  After I put it back together again, I discovered that the mouse worked perfectly (lit up) except that I had broken the left-click in the process of messing with it.  I ended up throwing the mouse away after wasting about an hour on the thing.  Moral of the story:  If you wanna try to fix it, make a special point to not cause any further problems. 

Print