Print 

Author Topic: "Windows" 8  (Read 2611 times)

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
"Windows" 8
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
I hate it.

For those who care: Windows 8 is terrible so far. It is 'easy' to use, if you are simple-minded and don't use your computer for things other than checking the weather, stocks, or the news. Difficult to use if you are an advanced user.

The main problem is in the inability to actually CLOSE apps, especially those that have sound. Also, on a laptop/desktop environment, this whole "Metro" thing is useless. We have these apps/gadgets/sidebar stuff in 7 and Vista, and can even get 'mods' for XP to get these on our desktops. Why would we need them in a start menu?

This whole idea is stupid for desktops/laptops. Alright for tablets, phones, and even touch-screen desktops. But it is really annoying, to me.

The start menu is replaced by a button that basically launches a 'second os' (that's how I think about it anyways,) that has some 'useful' apps on it, such as weather, stocks, news, etc. All of these apps are full-screen, and have no actual close button.

To be honest, if they insist on keeping the Metro UI in here, they need to not have it linked to the start menu. The start menu needs to continue to have what it has had; the ability to shut down and view installed programs on the computer. I don't want to have to press the start button, go though all of the apps/programs that are installed (which involves clicking and dragging across many pages of things) just to find what I want to use. I also don't want my desktop to become cluttered with icons because of this lack of an 'all programs' option on the interface. If you are going to make the start button launch the Metro UI, then add another button next to it that has all of the old functions of the start menu. Seriously.

Anyways, this is just a rant I decided to go off about on here, and now, if you have tried it, post your opinions of it. If anything I have said has a solution, or if I have missed something, please let me know. XD

Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
Re: "Windows" 8
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »

Add me on Steam!
I lived in the days of Tanxs when he was but a kid.
BFM clan only scrims were my favorite. I was so proud to make it into the ranks of this clan, but proud enough to let that be my downfall.
I am only happy that I got to experience such a legendary clan.

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
I followed this for a while and developed the opinion that it's just the Microsoft version of the iPads.  This shouldn't be installed on a desktop computer... ever!  It's designed for a handheld mobile touchscreen smaller than a laptop.  If I'm going to get something that small, I'd drop it on a Tablet PC and ONLY use it to read PDFs while being driven or on the airlines, neither of which happen often... and I get motion sickness staring at that kind of close-up stuff while moving anyways.  Blah.  Nearly-useless OS, just like Vista.  Stick with Windows 7 (or those of you who want to upgrade, just get 7 and be happy with it - it's fantastic).

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:15 AM »
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
(REMEMBER, installing an OS is not SIMPLE. ensure you are comfortable with wiping all your data and installing Windows before even thinking about it...)

That's where you can download the install ISO if anyone wants to play and see for themselves. but I agree totally with the main opinion of W8 so far. the focus of the OS has been pushed at touch screen devices so far that it would be a pain for the average desktop user (I mean someone who uses their computer for more than just facebook... ::))

I also cannot see any obvious improvement in the kernel which will differentiate it from Windows 7 in terms of performance and hardware utilisation either.

2c

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
Thanks for the link Ben, I'm gonna try installing it in a virtual machine some time this weekend.

Feijoa Freddd

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »

The desktop is dead.  Long live the desktop (on portable devices.)

"Windows 8" will only make the death that much faster, is all.  (And the "desktop" will become *ix-based within five years after it's release, as only "computer geeks" will want to play with such things any more.)

Your portable device will be your "desktop" and your "backup cloud" will be a small memory device.

(Prepare for the influx of larger portable screens that pull or fold out into tablet-size pocketables....)
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
(And the "desktop" will become *ix-based within five years after it's release, as only "computer geeks" will want to play with such things any more.)

I disagree.

*Ducks and hides away forever unless the unlikely event occurs that Mxy was actually wrong*

:winkgrin:

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »

Are you serious? That's so annoying. :P

And when you (Mxy) say desktop (the dead ones), are you talking about a full computer that goes in a home with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc? You probably are.

Rant!  :siren:

It bugs me to see so many people with their heads down, clicking, dragging, scrolling or just staring at their cell phone or whatever else. It really does seem like it's everyone. Some people still actually talk on their phones and that's usually okay, but most are viewing something.

People walking down the street are looking/talking at their phones, people in shops, people sitting anywhere, or waiting for something, or en route to some place. At work, when people are leaving, as soon as they're out the door, they've got their phones out. Everyone on break is looking at their phones and absently shoving food in their mouths. Have you seen the video of the woman who was walking and texting in a mall? Walked into and tripped over a low wall around a fountain and fell in. And laws about driving and using your phone at the same time are becoming more common. They had to make a LAW for it!

You can't talk to anyone anymore. No more chit-chat with strangers waiting in lines, they're busy with their electronic. I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago, just chatting, and her phone rings (actually, it neighed like a horse, but you know) and in the middle of our conversation she stops and texts someone for a minute, then calls and talks to them (or someone else). All the while, I'm standing there looking around, trying to give her some kind of privacy, which meant not glaring at her while she's talking.

And then there was this woman. I was at the mechanic's shop getting my car fixed, sitting in the waiting room, reading an old magazine. This woman was there too, also reading. We were the only two in a small, quiet room. Then her phone rings. She places her magazine on one leg, pulls out her phone and presses a button, then sets her phone-holding hand on the knee of her other leg, pretty much holding her phone out at arm's length. She starts talking to her assistant on speaker phone, speaking loudly, and I can hear the person she's talking to. I found it to be kind of awkward. That is not what speaker phone is for! You've got two free hands! Arg!

The only mobile device I have is an old iPod Video with a cracked and dark screen. It weighs four pounds and the battery won't hold a charge anymore, so it stays at home, near the electrical outlet. I, along with every single person from the beginning of time until the 1990s, manage to get by without having to check the internet or call someone every five minutes. I don't understand it, are people happy to be stuck to their phone all day?

Sigh!  What does *ix-based mean, anyway?

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
Linux, Unix etc

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:12:39 PM »
There will always (for the next 80 years) be a group of people who like using the type of computer we're on now.  They're more comfortable to use and can be navigated extremely quickly.  The new generation can have their Windows 8, 9, and whatever, but I'm pretty much rooted right into XP.  Windows 7 is about as far as I'm willing to go.  So what if they come out with new OS's?  Who cares?  Sure, at some point they'll (Microsoft) stop patching, but we'll still find ways to keep our computer running properly.  Who knows, there's plenty of time for Microsoft to screw things bad enough that people either stubbornly stick with their old stuff or move to something like Mac or Ubuntu.  I haven't even gotten into the "smartphone" trend.  Has it affected me?  No.  Am I viewed as behind and incompetent in the tech world for it?  Nope... And I really don't think Microsoft will drop support for "our" kind of systems anyway.  There's too many old people who don't know how to use anything but the "desktop" and wouldn't be able to learn.  There's too many young people used to growing up with a very friendly XP system and (like us) would fight against a major shift away from what we've gotten so fond of.

2c Boycott Windows 8.  Don't even install it on a virtual machine. 2c

Edit:  Just wanted to toss in here that whenever I heard a reference to Unix/Linux, it's been expressed as *nix.  Also, *nix isn't as technical and scary as it might sound to less technically inclined folk.  Grab a copy of "Linux for Dummies" (I have) and install it.  But you're a Firefox diehard and don't like change?  You can use Firefox on Linux, and even your plugins will work.  Try it... seriously.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:18:26 PM by ROCKHPC »

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »
I really don't think it is a good move to have people's main computers being portable, though (coming from a guy on a laptop.....huh.....Laptops aren't considered portable anymore. They are too bulky. As are netbooks. Gotta get a tablet, which still might be too big.....who knows.)

Anyways, 5,10, or even 20 years from now, people might watch a movie from back in 'our time' and see a tower sitting on the floor by a desk, and ask "What is that thing???"

It just isn't right! As much as I like portable devices like iPod touches and android tablets, I don't think they should be our primary device. It just takes too long to type a paper on such things. An actual computer is necessary (in my opinion).

If I could load Windows 8 on my Archos tablet, I would do so, because that is a suitable environment for it. I would like to see the "desktop" on portable devices like this, instead of just having a screen full of apps. I like being able to navigate to folders.

Anyways, I will stop ranting about all this now. XD
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »
WoW all i can say is that it looks terable. It will be great for the what 5% of the world users that use a tablet PC as the primary device but for the rest of us with  laptops and desctop PCs this will be uterly useless. This is a doomed to fail OS so would stick with win 7 as this so called win 8 wont be around very long.

Offline Lº§tMyMiNÐ

• Junior Poster
  • Introducing: my signature logo, modified.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
L°§tMyMiNÐ here.

And I took a look at Windows 8, even though I didn't install it on any of my computer, and to be honest, I am really not impressed. You see, like most everyone else here (probably all), I am not a tablet PC user, by trade. And this is going to be the chief reason why I'm going to stick with good ol' Windows XP, and maybe even Vista, since those two just so happen to work, and work well, and I'm happy with them.

:)

Well, actually, I'm only happy with Windows XP. Sorry, Vista... And I have to agree with Equinox. Windows 8 will probably be the monumental failure of the early 21st century, and the only persons Microsoft will have to blame are themselves.

:undecided:

In other words:

R.I.P.
Windows 8

Just throwing in my two cents.
-
L°§tMyMiNÐ

It speaks for itself...

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
You can disable Metro, you know...

Offline BFM_Yoda

• BFM Admin
  • Following, still, you, not!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
Windows 7 is my favorite, was difficult to get used to but hey i accepted the change, i won't go to windows 8 because ill go to an ipad/tablet whatever it is if it is just like a laptop, with a cd drive *only if those exist then xD* 1 TB hard-drive ex.

windows 8 will fail like vista, i will go to tablet when it is a mini laptop

PS software makers...

stop making things so user friendly you are dumbing society down!!!!

~Yoda
Started being PR - June 1, 2010
Recieved Vent - July 25, 2010
Little Tags! - September 25, 2010
Primary Training Completed - November 16, 2010
BIG TAGS! - December 9, 2010
Promoted to Corporal - May 8, 2011
Stepped down from Corporal - August 24, 2011
Hung up my Tags - April 30, 2013
Big Tags Again :D - November 4, 2014

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Print