Print 

Author Topic: Cheap Games?  (Read 5406 times)

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
Cheap Games?
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »
So I plan on buying both Modern Warfare 3 and Halo Anniversary for my Xbox 360 tomorrow, and worst case scenario looks like that I'll be spending less than $120 for both games (even though I was fully prepared to do so, I had a whole plan out and everything). So now I turn to the gaming community to see where I can go from there. I now feel comfortable enough in my expenses to look for a cheap (<$30) third game to buy, but I don't really know what to choose.

My current game library is as follows: COD games (MW1, MW2, Black Ops), Halo Games (Halo 2, ODST, Reach), Borderlands, Just Cause 2, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Orange Box, Lego Batman, and Dante's Inferno. I'm also returning Brutal Legend and Red Dead Redemption due to me becoming bored from/not fully enjoying them and to get extra money off the purchases.

I'm looking for something that most people would find enjoyable but also time consuming (Fallout 3 and New Vegas are options, but I'm on the fence about them, mostly because I've never played a Fallout game before and therefore don't know how I'd enjoy them). Basically just looking for a good bang for my buck. I'm open to any and all options.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:35:06 AM by ·WídgêT· »

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BFM_Xtr3me

• BFM Admin
  • Without me, it's just aweso.
Re: Cheap Games?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:24:27 PM »
if your a fan of the elder scrolls series, you might be able to pick up oblivion (game of the year edition) for $30 or so.
i cant comment on many other games as i dont buy that many (unless they are cheap ;p)

Xtr3me's Timeline in BFM
01/Jul/10 - First attempt at recruitment
07/Nov/10 - Second attempt at recruitment ;D
19/Dec/10 - Given Vent
30/Jan/11 - Given Little Tags
13/Mar/11 - Given Big Tags
26/Aug/11 - Promoted to Corporal
07/Feb/12 - Promoted to Sergeant
02/Nov/12 - Promoted to Lieutenant

Thankyou Lucky and Slayton

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:56:03 PM »

I'd say give Fallout 3 a go.  I haven't played borderlands, but I'd guess they are similar.  Borderlands seems to be more fighting, while Fallout is more of an RPG.  I really enjoyed it.  I remember Wic and Cool were into it as well. 

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »
Borderlands is a must-have.

Offline Duck

• Regular Poster
  • Quack
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:29:53 AM »
Yeah the Fallouts are good fun, although New Vegas and 3 are basically the same game just in different locations, so either of those. Portal 2? or is that too expensive?
Thanks Rypto!
Thanks to Bîgmäñ!

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:13:17 AM »
Steam's got some good deals going right now

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_Elkric

• BFM Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 06:24:53 AM »
If you enjoy single player RPG...

I second Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Dragon Age: Origins (look for Ultimate Edition).

Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:59:43 AM »
Can't go wrong with Fallout. I'd go with 3, though. I don't know what it is, but I liked that one better than New Vegas.

And the stories for them aren't similar in any way.

Fallout 3: You wake up in a vault, start as a baby, and are running around trying to purify water

New Vegas: You get shot in the head and left for dead, patched up, and are trying to get revenge.

I don't see how the storyline is the same :P
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline Duck

• Regular Poster
  • Quack
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »

I didn't mean the story, should have said, meant the gameplay/graphics etc.
Thanks Rypto!
Thanks to Bîgmäñ!

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:41 AM »
I moved this thread to the Gaming and Halo-themed Games section.

Offline Wic

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »

I didn't mean the story, should have said, meant the gameplay/graphics etc.

Graphics yes.. not sure what you regard as gameplay, but New Vegas is VERY different.... more complicated in many ways.  The many different ammo types... and the idea that in 3 you choose the path for either good karma, bad or neutral and who is your allies is pretty straightforward based on that.  New Vegas is much more intricate with Karma.  You can do something in one town as a good deed and then find out that doing that errand makes you regarded not so well in the next town, and its not like townspeople in either town are 'good' or 'bad'.  Much more interesting gameplay.

Borderlands is not like Fallout (3 or New Vegas) except that you level up, choose skill points, that kind of thing.. but I wouldn't say (like Kiwi did) that Borderlands is more fighting and the Fallouts are more RPG.  I'd say they're about equal on that score.  Totally different graphics, and character personalities.

I'd say take a look at screenshots for both and see which one attracts you.... in a video game the visuals are everything.  If the unique style of Borderlands doesn't suit you then one of the Fallouts might be better.  Be sure to get a Game of the Year Edition of whatever one you pick so you get all the DLC   :winkgrin:

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »

My current game library is as follows: COD games (MW1, MW2, Black Ops), Halo Games (Halo 2, ODST, Reach), Borderlands, Just Cause 2, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Orange Box, Lego Batman, and Dante's Inferno. I'm also returning Brutal Legend and Red Dead Redemption due to me becoming bored from/not fully enjoying them and to get extra money off the purchases.

I guess everyone missed that I already own Borderlands (which is currently my favorite game of all time, I've put more time and effort into that game than any of the others combined, since I currently have 2 separate max-leveled characters and a pretty impressive collection of gold guns). :doh:

In either case I decided to pick up Fallout 3 just for kicks (found a GotY Edition for $18 at Best Buy), so we'll see how it goes.

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Offline RadZakpak

• Posts Too Much
  • Passive but NOT aggresive
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »
Well, if you enjoyed Portal off of The Orange Box, then I'd recommend Portal 2.

If you have a person who often plays FPS games with you I'd recommend Army of Two: The 40th Day. I swear, i had some of the best times playing Co-op on this with my dad. Its focused on Co-op descisions and Co-op gameplay. Highly recommended.

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »
human revolution. It was 50% off in the steam sale! 

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
I deleted my steam account on account of me not ever really using it  :-\

Thank you Tanger!

Cheers, Marty!

Print