Print 

Author Topic: A topic of general ignorance  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
A topic of general ignorance
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »
Hi guys,
I have just installed Halo PC on my shiny new laptop and encountered a problem.

After setting up my halo command line parameters and audio/visual settings in-game, I exited, and re-started the game... Only to be blasted out by the music on the game's home screen.
I had disabled the music in my profile's settings. I turned the music volume to 0 and the sound volume to 3, then clicked ok, and ensured it told me that it had saved, then when I re-entered the game everything was back to default settings.

The video and audio settings are the only ones affected by this. Controls are ok when I change them.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Any ideas? I know it's an oldie and there are no guarantees that it will work as-per design, but I just wondered if there was anything that could be done about it

~fragg
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
Re: A topic of general ignorance
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
Sometime back i had a few problems
1: Check your internet security because when i instaled halo and when i tryer to  run it it would  flag it as a key logger and restrict its access to the computer

2:ensure you have Admin rights and try running it in XP compatability and  makeing sure the run as admin box is ticked.

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »
:P That sometimes happens to me. Happens when I join servers too, hogs are sometimes louder than everything else.

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline Moosh

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
:P That sometimes happens to me. Happens when I join servers too, hogs are sometimes louder than everything else.

This happens to me occasionally too...

A couple of things you could check, just off the top of my head;

• Make sure there are no other accounts made in Halo that it could be switching to.

• Go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo and delete whatever is in there. Basically Windows likes to save information (profiles, maps, saves, etc) for if you reinstall a program and want your old preferences back, at least I think that's what it's for, either way, it's a huge pain sometimes!

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I've checked into it all and everything's fine. Still got problems though.

@Blitz, the virtual store folder contains no msgames at all, and the only account on the computer is my master account so no switching of preferences that way...

Equinox, running as XP and admin had no effect.

I did manage to turn down the volume of just Halo in the windows volume mixer (thanks 360) so that it doesn't drown out vent, but  the graphics issues are getting annoying, especially the screen res. It's kinda annoying having to adjust that sort of thing every time you play a game.

I'll keep playing around with settings etc, and if anyone else has any suggestions I'd be greatful.

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »

0) UNinstall Halo.  Go to your C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games folder and DELETE  your halo folder there. (...Or RENAME it if you want to try to salvage it later.) Check that everything "Halo" is gone now.

1) Install Halo AS ADMINISTRATOR.

2) Locate your "halo.exe" file (usu.: Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo), RIGHT-click on it and set for XP compatibility and "Run As Admin"

3) Try it now.

It's possible that you have a mix of rights on your installation and it's not letting you make changes thereafter when you run it....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
cheers Mxy, I'll give that a go

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ

Print