Print 

Author Topic: Issues with Name  (Read 2230 times)

Offline 740Healin

• Newbie Poster
Issues with Name
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
I have held the name Taohealin for the last 12 years, and upon entering your server I asked to change it.  I stated my point of view and refused to change it, due to the fact is wasn't a religious reference.  Truth be told I am daoist, but my 'tag' has nothing to do with that.  My 'tag' is based off of my full name, an anagram if you prefer.  I would like to know if you could make an acception for my 'tag'.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Issues with Name
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »

Hi-

First of all, thanks for coming to the forums with this. It's nearly impossible to get things cleared up in the servers sometimes, it's just too busy and not enough room to type anyway.

We have a server policy where we don't allow religious names, mainly to avoid arguments, negative comments, controversial discussions and other things that come up when people are reminded of religion. The admin(s) that asked you to change your name were trying to be consistent with that policy, since that's the best way to avoid confusion and trouble. It's nothing personal against you. I've talked to them about it and I don't think your name would need to be changed under our "no religious references" policy since it's not likely to create the problems other references could.

That's said, it might come up that someone would rather you not use that name, meaningless anagram or not. It could be because they think it's causing trouble in the server, or because it personally bothers them. In that case, just as a matter of courtesy, it would be best if you could either change it or come back another day. Religion and politics have a long-time reputation of stirring up feelings, which is why it's not always a good idea to talk about them in mixed company. Company doesn't get anymore mixed than it does in online multiplayer games ;)

We're not trying to run people out of the server with this, we just want to avoid putting our admins in a position where they have to be a referee in a theological debate. Everyone in the server is there to play Halo and have a good time, and it's too easy to throw that off sometimes. One of the most obvious ways of keeping them on track is not bringing up delicate subjects. Taoism may not be a hot topic, but it could still put people off.

I hope you understand, and thanks again for coming here.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:00:03 PM by BFM_JANE »

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:10:17 AM »
Taohealin could easily fit into the religious names. For that reason it IS NOT allowed in our servers. The old argument would really fit in here. You were killed by Taohealin. We have players from all over the world that play in our servers. If their religion were to be Taoism I could see how they could be offended.

I do understand that you say it is just a play on your real name. No reason for me not to believe you. There are people named Jesus but they still cant use that name in our servers. We just ask for a little understanding. You give us that understanding and we will work hard and admin the servers for you so you can have fun with people who are playing by the rules as you do. So please pick another name when in our servers.

I sent this to you in a pm just incase you miss it here.

Offline 740Healin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
Taohealin could easily fit into the religious names. For that reason it IS NOT allowed in our servers. The old argument would really fit in here. You were killed by Taohealin. We have players from all over the world that play in our servers. If their religion were to be Taoism I could see how they could be offended.

I do understand that you say it is just a play on your real name. No reason for me not to believe you. There are people named Jesus but they still cant use that name in our servers. We just ask for a little understanding. You give us that understanding and we will work hard and admin the servers for you so you can have fun with people who are playing by the rules as you do. So please pick another name when in our servers.

I sent this to you in a pm just incase you miss it here.

Just to clearify, it is unjust for me to hold the name taohealin, but you are allowed to place rebel flags on your webpage?  If this is your ruling, you are simply a leader that is pushing powers onto others he refuses to accept.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
No one said your name was unjust.  We only said that we do not want you to use that name in our servers and explained to you the reason why...nothing more.  You are looking to be offended and that is your right...but, when you are actively looking to be offended, you are almost guaranteed to succeed.  Your completely irrelevant comments about the rebel flag is another example of your over-reaching effort to start an argument out of a need to express the indignation you already actively sought out.  The problem you will find here is that there is no argument to be had.  We have informed you of our expectations and you can either follow them while in our servers or you can play somewhere else.  I promise we will not be the slightest bit offended if you value your screen name over our servers and we will wish you nothing but the best of luck where ever it is you decide to play.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline 740Healin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
I am not reaching for just any argument.  The rebel flag offends me and I wish for it to be removed. It was used in the past as a symbol that stood beside harming/owning a fellow human-being.  It insults me. Unless you can point someone out whom is offended by my name, I do believe that gives the rebel flag more reason to be removed then my name.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »
If you are truly not wanting to be offended then I am sure you realize that you are free to go someplace else where you are not offended...problem solved.  Or you could prove me right by hanging around here where your horrible sense of being "offended" takes a back seat to your real goal...to argue your point about how "offended" you are?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:15:51 PM by BFM_Booyah »

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I am sorry you are offended by the Confederate Flag. If I were to use an American Flag there are many who would be offended. Funny thing this has nothing to do with any flag. This is you trying to justify to us why your name is OK. We arent saying your name is wrong. Its just wrong for our servers. Its that simple. There is nothing to argue about. You dont have to agree. You just have to use a different name when you play in our servers. You were sent a pm by me saying we can move forward with you thinking im an Idiot and agree to disagree and just change your name only on our forums or in our servers. You can choose not to race in our servers. The final one would be you not agree and continue to keep the name on our forums and keep racing by that name. That would end up with you banned from the servers and forums. I dont want that to happen. This is exactly why we have allowed this discussion to go on this long. The decision has been made now its up to you. I will even allow you to post you dont agree and are only changing your name so you dont get banned. Just be respectful and we move forward. Again its up to you.

I have changed your name on the forums since it has been determined it would not be allowed by BFM

Print