Print 

Author Topic: Defense question  (Read 1992 times)

Offline uffa

• Newbie Poster
Defense question
« on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
Here is a scenario: I am approaching an empty hog to enter it at the same time a loaded enemy rocket hog approaches me. I land a sticky nade and spill the hog but the players do not die. I then quickly jump into my hog and attempt a speedy escape before they get back into theirs. Instead, they throw nades and shoot at me on foot and kill me.

Is this legal? I've been told by a couple of players that it is and they claim defense. However, I see it as attacking a lone hog that does not pose a threat. I generally stop attacking a loaded hog once it is no longer a threat to me, but in my recent experience, it seems I should keep attacking until they are dead.

Thoughts?

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
Re: Defense question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »
Technically it is not illegal to nade lone hogs in our servers, however most players attempt to only kill for hogs when they have no other option. I will address this question according to our scrim rules, as this is the standard of play you are clearly looking at for this scenario. Note that in scrims it is illegal to kill lone hogs when you have others available.

The scenario you describe shows the point of view from someone experienced, most players are not aware enough of their surroundings to realise imminent threats. You as you guessed were well within your rights to nade the enemies and then get into your hog. If you fired at the occupants of the hog at any stage once they spilled they are within their rights to kill you. However if you only naded them for the purposes of later escaping (which it appears you attempted to do) then in a scrim the occupants of the spilled hog would not be permitted to kill you. This is what I would expect BFMs to do in a public server, however our guests are not held to this level of play but are encouraged to do so. If a hog is no longer a threat to you and you have no reason to attack it I would strongly encourage you to do as you have been and not attempt to simply get more kills. Get in your hog and do laps! :)

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline uffa

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:17:10 AM »
I do agree with giving all players the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the rules. I'll just have to suck it up when they don't, as usual. :) Good to know an official ruling though.

I'm more surprised to find that it is not illegal to nade a lone hog with other hogs present. Sure enough, there is nothing about it in the rules, although admins clearly address it in the game. I imagine it is more a suggestion that racing comes before killing rather than rule enforcement.

Thanks for the response!

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:31:32 PM »
uffa it isnt illegal but frowned upon. Most long time racers will let the people know there were hogs available. We will also SUGGEST you not nade a lone hog when other hogs are there. In the spirit of the game you are right that no one should nade a lone hog when one is available. Some of the new racers dont understand this at first and just spawn and fight. That is why we keep suggesting over and over not to play slayer and not to nade a lone hog when others are available. I would probably say in game Hey newbie why nade my hog? There were other hogs there no need to play slayer. Most of the experienced players know it really isnt right as far as the integrity of the game as you know it really shouldnt be done. I love these types of questions because it shows your a good racer who cares about what is fair. You did the right thing and should have been left alone once you were not a threat as most long racers would agree.

Print