Print 

Author Topic: Killing another when no hogs are available.  (Read 2879 times)

Offline antykin

• Newbie Poster
Killing another when no hogs are available.
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Okay so I just played in BFM #4 as "a taro" racing at Ice Fields and I spawned at blue base. I take a glimpse around the base and dont see any hogs so I proceed to walk towards the bridge for my nav and then BFM_N3goti8 was on foot in front of me. Me thinking that we can slay or should expect some combat along the way when no hogs are around ( Ryder told us this yesterday, Darth Homer said Ryder told us yesterday too and I was there ). So I kill BFM_N3goti8 and he said its not allowed. Mr Mxy also said no. So then next map comes and BFM_Crimson tells us that we can kill as long as we are proceeding towards our nav ( something like that). So I am confused as to if we can slay when there are no hogs. I just want some clarification here thanks. Just to add a little thing, I wasn't sure if there were actually hogs, so I am a bit guilty of not checking around the base first, but assumed there was none since BFM_N3goti8 was walking too. Sorry if I rephrased some things wrong as that is what I remember seeing on the screen.  Thanks guys!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Killing another when no hogs are available.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »

If there are no hogs available and the player(s) have to walk to their next nav, then it's a good idea to kill any enemies rather than walk with them. If you're walking with them and then a hog drives past, no matter which team its on, it will be attacked. Kill the enemy and that hog will be safe to pick up their teammate.

You'd have to send a PM to N3goti8 to get his take on it. From what you've said, you probably already know the answer to your question: You didn't know if there were hogs available and you started killing, so that's not allowed.

Offline antykin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:21 AM »
Thanks. But I want to know a more general rule-ling about this? Mainly because different admins have given me different answers about this, so it's really hard to know if I am allowed to do this. ( given there are no hogs after skimming for them )

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34:47 AM »

I answered that. The first section of my post is the general rule, the second part has to do with why you might have been warned for killing. If that doesn't answer your question, I'll need it rephrased.

Offline antykin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:23 AM »
I actually didn't get warned. I know you answered the question but hmmm how do I rephrase it?

Like I know we can kill with no hogs available but lets say a admin saw me and said thats not allowed ( like BFM_N3goti8 did ). Can I say that is allowed? I know I was wrong for not checking and it was illegal but he only told me "no" when I thought that we can slay with no hogs. Okay this is confusing myself too o_O I think I'll just have to be careful next time or just not slay .. thanks anyways Jane.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:02 AM »

If you think they're wrong and you're right, it's best to leave it for the time being and send that admin a PM on the forums, rather than try to discuss it in the server.

Admins make mistakes and you can explain your actions in the server if you can do it in one sentence. If the admin realizes they were wrong, they'll say so. If the admin is sure they saw things correctly and think you've broken a rule, the server isn't a good place to go into it. There's not enough room to type and there's too much going on to give the matter enough attention.

Instead, keep it in mind and keep racing, and when you're done, send that admin a PM. Ask them about it, tell them your side of it and see what they can tell you.

We don't want you to have to take a bad call in the server with no way to defend or explain yourself, but those types of talks in the server don't go well, thanks to the 65-character limit and the other players needing an active admin and teammate.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:13:42 AM »
If you are on foot, the general rules are these:

1) If you are outnumbered by enemies (1 of you and 2 of them) you can attack them and kill until it is even strength.  Once you've killed one and have even numbers, if there are hogs you must stop fighting and take a hog.  If there's only one hog, then of course you can keep fighting over it.

2) If there is a hog, you must use it. You can't walk, take teles and ignore a hog.  You shouldn't be fighting unless you are being attacked, or are outnumbered (see #1)

3) You must check around the base for hogs, you can't just assume there aren't any and take off walking or attack enemies on foot.  If you respawn on one side of the base, you shouldn't be nading on the assumption there might not be hogs on the other side.

4) If there are no hogs, you can nade a lone hog that drives past (but see #2, you must have checked first - you can't nade if you're not yet sure if there are hogs or not)

5) If there are no hogs you can start walking to your nav

6) If you are walking to your nav (legally, so not ignoring hogs or going out of your way) you can attack other walkers or nade any hogs that go by.

7) You can't spam nades.  Let one explode before you throw the next one.  You can't just throw nades hoping a hog comes around the corner and flips.  You have to have a target - something you can see.

#3 and #4 are strictly enforced in our scrims, but we are pretty lenient in public servers and don't usually warn unless people make a habit of slaying, walking the map, or nading lone hogs when there were other hogs available.

So basically, near the base you must check for hogs and really try to find one and get away.  You shouldn't be unecessarily killing enemies or walking the map. But if there really isn't a hog, and you've checked, and you have to walk to the next nav, you can kill other walkers as you walk (although this is good strategy, as JANE explained, you'll find a lot of people don't kill other walkers, and even think it's unsporting to do so, but it's definitely allowed.

Offline antykin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
Thanks guys :). The ones Kiwi posted made it a little more clear, especially the last mini paragraph that he wrote. Pretty clear now.

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 03:45:19 AM »
So basically, near the base you must check for hogs and really try to find one and get away.  You shouldn't be unecessarily killing enemies or walking the map. But if there really isn't a hog, and you've checked, and you have to walk to the next nav, you can kill other walkers as you walk (although this is good strategy, as JANE explained, you'll find a lot of people don't kill other walkers, and even think it's unsporting to do so, but it's definitely allowed

Not only is it allowed but MANY times the best strategy to kill the one walking with you. If you think about the game there are times you shouldnt kill them as to not award them to move to the next base. But most of the times if you let them walk with you and your teammate gets killed its your fault and you cost your team that map. I wont let someone walk with in most cases UNLESS the map strategy says I should let them kill me and spawn ahead. Just blame yourself if you let them walk with you and they kill your teammate because IT IS YOUR FAULT!

Print