Print 

Author Topic: Clarification on using tunnels on DC  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
Clarification on using tunnels on DC
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »
Hello,
         I was wondering if I could have some clarification on using the tunnels on Danger Canyon. On two separate occasions now an admin has informed me that the tunnels are slower. On the first occasion i was 'warned' ( not via any macro--just pls do not use the tunnels here) not to use them. when I challenged that on the first occasion the admin said 'no it wasnt a rule. On the second occasion i was informed that they were slower. When I jumped out of the hog I was driving (after picking up a gunner) to get health for (3rd time i think) the admin (gunner) jumped into the driver seat and drove off informing me it was a 'race' and tunnels were slower and i was slowing things down by 'constantly' jumping out of the hog getting health (but I digress ::)).

So the question is, are they allowed for public servers or not, I understand that under scrim rules they are out of bounds :)

Regards.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Clarification on using tunnels on DC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »

Of course you can use the tunnels. The only thing we have in the rules against using them (in public servers) is that you can't walk them if there are hogs available and no threat at the base. If you want to take the tunnels every time, go for it. Admins can't warn you for doing it, but as you know, admins and guests alike might suggest/insist you go a better way.

They should not steal the hog though, guests should not and admins should know better. If that really happened, I apologize.

So it's not a rule, you can do it if you want, but it's not always best to go through the tunnels. Sometimes it's safer and in those cases, definitely use the tunnels. But that's good strategy. Going through the tunnels separates you from the enemy, and if you can't kill them, you might not win. Race is a contact game, it's necessary to get kills and getting killed is part of the game too. Avoiding and delaying action is not part of it and really isn't why people play.

Just an FYI, in our scrims, tunnels can only be used when it's necessary, meaning 1) there's a threat at the base and 2) they need the center nav. If both aren't true, then tunnels can't be used. This is to ensure the game is fair and even for both sides, so that one team isn't hiding in the tunnels every lap.

Scrims are more competitive and the rules a little tighter. I think people would like to see better competition in the public servers, but we'd need everyone on board to make it happen. We can't expect that from every guest as some are new, some are casual players, and some aren't there to play, so we leave it to the scrims.

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
Re: Clarification on using tunnels on DC
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »
Thanks for the prompt and indepth explanation there Jane :). As for the 'other' thing, no worries. My team was getting a hammering so I guess there was some frustration there. I put it down to experience as soon as it happened so no biggie ::) :P :LOL:

Regards.

Print