Print 

Author Topic: Computer error-Replacing invalid security id with default security id..  (Read 9656 times)

Offline Fuse

• Junior Poster
Long time no talk, had an interesting issue I seem unable to resolve on my own or by searching, I booted up my computer to a screen telling me that I need to run a disk check due to some error (I can run through and find specific info if needed, but I am afraid of causing further damage to my hardware by starting up the laptop without knowing what I am doing) long story short, it runs the disk check and after it completes it doesn't start up, but goes to a black screen telling me "Replacing invalid security id with default security id"
http://www.sspzgr.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/20111012-003110.jpg
and it ran through about 40000 files before I shut it off. May not have been the best idea, but so far I have run several tests, currently running ePSA through the DELL system. I managed to get it to boot past the Windows boot screen, but it went black with nothing but a mouse pointer. And when I load up Ubuntu, it runs its command screen instead of the normal page. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanx Benjy for the awesome Siggy!

Thanks TH-7 Erik! Love it!

"E.T. for the Atari, if you place this game in the console, puppies die. That's how bad it is."

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Computer error-Replacing invalid security id with default security id..
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
Sounds like an account has been disabled or corrupted.  The security id probably refers to the permissions on the files, and a user or users they refer to are not valid.  I'm guessing if you let it run it may get through all the files (there could be 100's of thousands though! )

You can try this, adapted from something I Googled:

Boot in safe mode and login as the admin account.

Got to each user  - depends on OS, but c:\User\xxxx or c:\documents and settings\

Right click, properties, security tab, find or add Adminstrators, edit permissions and give full control and apply.

Do this for all user accounts.

Then this may be overkill, but reboot in safe mode, login again as Admin.

Run a chkdsk again

Boot normally and login as admin, see if everything is ok.

If so, try logging on as normal user.

If your normal user is the admin user then you may be hosed.

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
Can you get into any mode at all? so like Kiwi said try :

Safe Mode
Last Known Good (etc)

You might need to download a live CD to take a look at your file system otherwise. I recommend Hirens, which has both a live XP and Linux environment.

From that you can run many, many.. tools, one thing I would also try is to make a new administrative account, and set it to the owner of the drive and reboot.

At the FIRST chance though BACKUP all data on that drive, via a live CD or external caddy, but no matter what get your important data off ASAP.

That way we can
Quote from: MrMxyzptlk
Nuke and Pave!
if needed :)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
Kiwi's on to something that you should try first (since you've already run a default chkdsk run.)

If that doesn't work, you may have "corrupted" portions of your disk drive, which would lead you to this next "thing to try:"

Since you've run a "Disk Check" ("CHKDSK" actually) in the "default" ("Check and fix") mode, it's very likely too late to figure out what's going on, since it's now already mucked with all the records on the disk.  ::)

Whenever you even think you might have a disk problem, you should (so in this case, you SHOULD!):

0) Click "Start" and then enter

cmd

and press <Enter> to bring up a Command window. (Black rectangular thingy.)

1) Enter

chkdsk c:

and then press the <Enter> key.

If it barfs up a lot of error messages, I recommend that you NOT fix them!  Find a way to make a copy of the data on/from that disk instead, since the "fix" process can further corrupt or destroy the existing data on the disk.

If few (a couple of dozen or so is okay) show up, then go ahead and enter

chkdsk c: /X /R

to do a complete "fix & recover" pass on your disk drive.

Note: This is why I have an "extra" 2TB external (USB) drive around at all times.  I can mirror as much as possible from the "problem" drive without doing further damage to it, and THEN work on repairing the "problem" drive.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print