Print 

Author Topic: Hard Drive Imaging  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Macheez

• Newbie Poster
Hard Drive Imaging
« on: November 29, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
Hey fellow PC Technicians!  Let's find out what software you like to use and why.

For communication purposes, let's use the following expectations:
  • The computer will be re-imaged once per year to restore the system to "Factory Freshness".
  • After finishing the imaging process, all OS updates & relevant program updates will be installed.
  • A new image will be created for use in the following year.
  • A backup application will restore all personal files.

Post your answers to the following questions:
  • Is there a FREE imaging application that you would recommend for personal/home use?
  • Is there an imaging application less than $40 that you would recommend for business use?
  • Is it possible to (slipstream) add updates into an image without having to create a new image?
  • Is there anything important to keep in mind when re-imaging a system?
  • What type of media would you encourage be used for storing images? (i.e. DVDs, External Hard Drive, Online/Cloud, etc...)

See you on the servers!
Mac-n-Cheez

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
Re: Hard Drive Imaging
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
Is there a FREE imaging application that you would recommend for personal/home use?

I personaly use the Imaging  tool build into windows 7 its technicly free as it comes with it and it backs up 100% of the OS / programs and personal data and all partitions

Is there an imaging application less than $40 that you would recommend for business use?

Chances are if your a buisness customer you are already useing windows 7 Professional/Ultimate and this again has the imaging  tool build in but in  these versions it is also network enabled

Is it possible to (slipstream) add updates into an image without having to create a new image?

No not with the windows 7 image tool once its created its locked and  protected but then it only takes me 5 to 10 min to create a complete  image so there is  no need to slipstream 

Is there anything important to keep in mind when re-imaging a system?

Try not to run any programs or update anything while you are  creating the image and in my case i disconect it from the internet while i am creating the image

What type of media would you encourage be used for storing images? (i.e. DVDs, External Hard Drive, Online/Cloud, etc...)

I use the dvd for the windows 7 image recovery boot tool but i would not use DVD to back up the acual image basicly because home use writeable / rwDVDs are unstable and deteriorate quick so there is no guarantee that what was made a year ago will work correctly when you need itand it only takes 1 dvd to fail for you  to loose all your image backup.  As for cloud its great for file back up but not Image storage.  The  best place to store it is on an external hard drive that is only used for image storage and once the image is crated it is unpluged and then stored in a safe place alot of people  have the hard drive running all the time but this is a bad idea as it increases the chances that the image might be damaged by a virus or user deleted and it also adds drive wear that can result in drive failure

Offline Totoro

• Newbie Poster
  • Nomnomnomnom!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
I use EASEUS free tools, mainly the partition manager, and they are great.

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/
Is their free imager / backup tool, which I have barely used but looks good.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
Is their partition manager, which has gotten me out of a few scrapes.

No idea if they will suit your needs. Personally, I am backing up to 2 separate external hard drives, one kept at home and one kept offsite. They are so cheap now it's silly!

-Nørd

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »

1. The computer will be re-imaged once per year to restore the system to "Factory Freshness".

I, too, use the EASEUS disk tools now. (I used Norton Ghost for a long time before that tho. I stopped when 1) I got sick of Symantec putting "malware" on my machine with it, and 2) It got too expensive, given the free equivalent choices that became available.)

However... I no longer image drives "actively." Instead I disconnect the drive (or remove it) and connect it to a USB HDD device running on another computer. (This is about the only way I know of to get a true "static" image of a disk "as-is."  I welcome any other alternatives that anyone's used.)

The only drawback with this method is that it is much slower than disk-to-disk directly within a machine, but since I usually run such things overnight, it's never been a problem for me.  (USB3 has helped somewhat, but in the end it turns out that few of the systems I've dealt with allow that advantage to be applied.... Only "computer speed freak" seem to have sought them out and installed them, and most of them can image their own drives....  :'( )

2. After finishing the imaging process, all OS updates & relevant program updates will be installed.

I create my own (slipstream) Windows CDs with the updates, so I use those.

3. A new image will be created for use in the following year.

Heh. I make an image (see #1) of the finished, updated, rebuilt system and store THAT in a hidden partition at the end of the drive (where space allows, which it usually does for non-geeks.)  For some folks I also put a copy of that image on an off-line drive. (Either mine, or one of their own.)

4. A backup application will restore all personal files.

With the exception of "Personal stuff" (i.e. "User Profiles," et al) I never install/use a backup program any more. (Note: I end up only setting such a thing up for someone that does a fair amount of "data creation" outside their Windows User Profile space (usu the C drive.)  E.g. If someone puts their photos on another (logical) drive, or such, but most people that do that also know to back it up themselves.)  Hence I rarely use/install "Backup Software" for folks, and when I do it's usually on an external/portable drive.

Oh, and if there's a lot of free disk space on the computer, I also squirrel away a backup of each of the machine's active User Profiles on another hidden partition, too.  This has turned out to be the most helpful trick I know, since the greater majority of user's stuff - that they want to get back! - is there.  Not having to extract it from the full image is a REAL time saver! (It also totally freaks people out that I can get their stuff back so quickly, too!  :winkgrin: )

* Is there a FREE imaging application that you would recommend for personal/home use?
 EASEUS disk tools (var)

* Is there an imaging application less than $40 that you would recommend for business use?
 EASEUS disk tools (var)

* Is it possible to (slipstream) add updates into an image without having to create a new image?
Not that I know of....

* Is there anything important to keep in mind when re-imaging a system?
Um, YES!: Check that the new image is good before wiping the original source stuff!!! (I usually "try" it out from a new partition, hiding the original (boot) partition and directing the "test" to the new boot partition instead. (Note: If successful, and if a large enough disk, you can just leave it that way and thus you already have a "backup" on the drive if needed!
  :zoot: )

* What type of media would you encourage be used for storing images? (i.e. DVDs, External Hard Drive, Online/Cloud, etc...)
External HDD, in my safety deposit box....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print