Print 

Author Topic: BOOTMGR is missing  (Read 2473 times)

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
BOOTMGR is missing
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »
hi all. yesterday my PC died and after a restart i get a black screen with the text BOOTMGR IS MISSING, PRESS CNTR ALT DEL TO RESTART. after doing so i get Fatality start up screen like i always do then the error message returns. i googled the problem but it didnt make much sense to me. so i was hoping that someone here could help. thanks in advance.

Offline Macheez

• Newbie Poster
Re: BOOTMGR is missing
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »
Hey Tails,

When troubleshooting it helps to know some additional information as best as you can provide.
1. What operating system are you using? (i.e. XP Home, XP Pro, Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Seven Pro, etc...)
2. Do you have the original installation CD's?
2. Did you install/uninstall or make any change prior to this error?
3. Have you been seeing this error for some time now?  or did I just misread this part of your post?

after doing so i get Fatality start up screen like i always do

I haven't seen this error in awhile but your OS version will determine how to move forward in getting you back up and running. :)
Mac-n-Cheez

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »

Check your PMs, Tails.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »
thanks mxy, will try that tomorow. and for the record i am running windows 7

Offline Macheez

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
Totally Awesome!!

umm.. just one thing though... what did MrMxy say?  Anything good to pass on to those of us who can't read minds.. uh.. I mean personal messages?  :)

Here's hoping for the super secret solution!
Mac-n-Cheez

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
Totally Awesome!!

umm.. just one thing though... what did MrMxy say?  Anything good to pass on to those of us who can't read minds.. uh.. I mean personal messages?  :)

Here's hoping for the super secret solution!
Mac-n-Cheez

Simple answer: It was a short walkthru (three steps?) on a site with a visible Comments section, so it can't be posted here....

Sorry....  ::)

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
so I made the recovery disk on another computer, put it into mine and nothing happend, is there suposed to be something that i have to do?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:25 PM »
so I made the recovery disk on another computer, put it into mine and nothing happend, is there suposed to be something that i have to do?

You should be booting from the original Windows 7 CD....

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
ok i spoke to the guy who built my pc yesterday and he showed me how to make it read the cd, so i was able to follow mxys steps and restore it. so it seemed. i went to dinner and came back to a blue screen crash. i re started it and got back to desktop, but i couldnt do anything and it crashed again. Oh dear. im going to ask him if he has any idea, but any advice is appreciated

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »
ok i spoke to the guy who built my pc yesterday and he showed me how to make it read the cd, so i was able to follow mxys steps and restore it. so it seemed. i went to dinner and came back to a blue screen crash. i re started it and got back to desktop, but i couldnt do anything and it crashed again. Oh dear. im going to ask him if he has any idea, but any advice is appreciated

I could be wrong but it sounds alittle like a hardware fault because if your booting from a DVD it should not be effected by any corrupt files on the hard drive as it is effectivly running  from the DVD and wipeing them cleen and replacing them. So to me if it is crashing during a restore and shortly after boot its posably a hardware fault. Try running memtest or if you dont have that there is a basic one built into windows 7 (just type mem in the search bar click it and set it to run on restart and then restart before you  crash).  Anoter thing you could do to see if its a hardware fault is download abuntu to a dvd and then boot from that disk (dont install it) but instead run it from the disk and see if this also crashes

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
Do you have a floppy disk drive installed?

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:44 PM »
ok I had to re install windows all together. I lost about 25 gig worth of stuff but most of my stuff is secure on my hardrive. but everything on here is in low quality now.

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
Re: BOOTMGR is missing FIXED
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »
just fixed my display issues and I feel like an idoit ahahahahaha

Print