Print 

Author Topic: Topic Torch  (Read 1889 times)

Offline BFM_Ben1

• BFM Admin
Topic Torch
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
Well iv'e just found out that this Topic Torch thing is a virus, you might have heard about it, and its been installed on my laptop. Its very annoying and i need a reliable way off getting rid of it. There are a few websites offering a way of getting rid of it but i'm not sure how reliable they are now... Any help appreciated :)

Thanks to Spood for this sig!

Awards won:

Aussie Scrims Team dStruct- Season VI Champions
Season 21 Captain Scrims- All Star
Season 21 Captain Scrims- Star Rookie
Season 22 Captain Scrims- MVP
Season 22 Captain Scrims- Most Improved
Season 22 Captain Scrims- All Star

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
Re: Topic Torch
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »
I have not had any experiance with Topic Torch and there is very little info on what it does to your PC on google just list after list of sites claiming to be able to remove it.  As  for  how to remove it i personaly would not use any of these so called random websites that claim to remove viruses because you just dont know how safe they are and they may acualy cause more damage or do other things to your comp that is  just as bad as the virus they claim to remove.  You could try the usual things to remove it  like AVG free / malware bytes free / TDSkiller and see how they remove it but it all depends what you have tryed already.  Personaly if it was me i dont even bother trying to remove a virus i would try and save what i could from the comp in the way of personal files and then if i had  built the comp and installed windows my self I would compleatly shred the hard drive multiple times and then ether cleen install windows or simply use a drive image if on the other hand it is a comp you purchased from a shop i would not  shred the hard drive and I would use the built in recovery tool that will format the hard drive and then reinstall windows to out the box factory default ( just remmber this  will delete everything you installed / downloaded / saved).  Then once its all back up and running i would install the AV run a full scan and then would run a dedicated rootkit scaner like TDSkiller just to make sure nothing was  hideing in that area.

Some will say blanking the hard drive and starting over is to drastic a mesure but the reality is even if you manage to remove a virus you never know what has been changed and how deep the damage caused by the virus goes and while a AV program may remove it it wont fix all the hiden changes the virus made

Offline Macheez

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
I agree with what Equinox said!
And some rootkits are so embeded that even a format/re-installation doesn't remove them.

You may also consider the website www.BleepingComputer.com as I have had some good experiences with their removal gurus.
Mac-n-Cheez

Offline BFM_Ben1

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
Deal with, i clicked "extensions" (Google Chrome) then found Yanoo or whatever it was called and then deleted it :) All seems ok so far :)

FYI

Thanks to Spood for this sig!

Awards won:

Aussie Scrims Team dStruct- Season VI Champions
Season 21 Captain Scrims- All Star
Season 21 Captain Scrims- Star Rookie
Season 22 Captain Scrims- MVP
Season 22 Captain Scrims- Most Improved
Season 22 Captain Scrims- All Star

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 01:35:03 PM »
I agree with what Equinox said!
And some rootkits are so embeded that even a format/re-installation doesn't remove them.

You may also consider the website www.BleepingComputer.com as I have had some good experiences with their removal gurus.
Mac-n-Cheez

^^^ What he said!!!  ^^^

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print