Print 

Author Topic: Windows update problem  (Read 2559 times)

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
Windows update problem
« on: January 23, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »
The windows update feature on my computer has always been set to auto check and auto install and just by chance  when i was moving my  mouse over to the time and date to look at the calender my  mouse went over the action center flag and a little  pop up said 1 PC problem so i clicked the action center to see what it was and it said

"Windows update is set to check with you before downloading and installing updates. These settings are managed by your system administrator"   (with the change settings button grayed out)

I found this odd because i am the only user and i am the system administrator and i did not change the settings and looking further down i can see that windows update is no longer set to automatic. I ran a virus scan and  it came back clean i did a google  search and while  others have had this problem all the solutions seemed to be for windows 7 pro and ultimate and not  Home Premium so as a last resort i restored my  comp using a back up image when that was finished i checked and windows update was set to auto and i had full control over the settings and i thought great its fixed however about an hour later i decided to check and it was yet again set to not automatic so i again ran a  virus scan that again came back clean i even  tryed running sfc /scannow  in case any files had been changed but the scan came back clean so i am at a loss as to what the problem is or how to resolve it.

The system i am on is windows 7 home premium 64bit below  is screen shots of the  screens.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Windows update problem
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
All I can imagine is that Kaspersky is managing it somehow.  You could temporarily disable antivirus, including firewall, and see if you get control of windows update back.  Or post on the Kaspersky forums. 

It's common on business networks to disable it like that, even if you're administrator of your own machine, a network administrator can lock it down.  I'll ask at work and see how that's done. 

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »
All I can imagine is that Kaspersky is managing it somehow.  You could temporarily disable antivirus, including firewall, and see if you get control of windows update back.  Or post on the Kaspersky forums. 

It's common on business networks to disable it like that, even if you're administrator of your own machine, a network administrator can lock it down.  I'll ask at work and see how that's done.

I Just tryed disabling Kaspersky and restarting the  comp and no change to setting.  Yeh i seen on google about the business and how gpedit.msc is used yo manage and change these settings however windows 7 home premium does not have this option

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »

Well, just dropping my $0.02-worth here....

I have never, EVER trusted Micro$oft to know what I want it to do to my machine, ESPECIALLY without specific information about every pending change. (Their continuous "Windows needs to update" message is something I completely ignore, and shows how lazy they are and careless in truly keeping their user's systems PROPERLY up-to-date and safe.... Yes they've messed my machine up several too many times....)

Hence, since I therefore have my Windows Update setting set to "Currently not monitored" and my UAC setting to "Off"," and I check for updates on a quarterly schedule, I have no idea even how the crazy UAC rules even affect the crazier Windows Update actions and permissions.

FYI: I, too, am running Win7 x64, BTW.

Also, here are my Security settings:

Network firewall: On
Windows Update: Currently not monitored
Virus protection: Currently not monitored
Spyware and unwanted software protection: Currently not monitored
Internet security settings: OK
User Account Control: Off (UAC will never notify.)
Network Access Protection: Off

Another note: Micro$oft can't seem to even be consistent in the capitalization of their settings phrases, either! (See underlined words above! ... or their counterparts, take your pick!)  :doh:
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »

Well, just dropping my $0.02-worth here....

I have never, EVER trusted Micro$oft to know what I want it to do to my machine, ESPECIALLY without specific information about every pending change. (Their continuous "Windows needs to update" message is something I completely ignore, and shows how lazy they are and careless in truly keeping their user's systems PROPERLY up-to-date and safe.... Yes they've messed my machine up several too many times....)

Hence, since I therefore have my Windows Update setting set to "Currently not monitored" and my UAC setting to "Off"," and I check for updates on a quarterly schedule, I have no idea even how the crazy UAC rules even affect the crazier Windows Update actions and permissions.

FYI: I, too, am running Win7 x64, BTW.

Also, here are my Security settings:

Network firewall: On
Windows Update: Currently not monitored
Virus protection: Currently not monitored
Spyware and unwanted software protection: Currently not monitored
Internet security settings: OK
User Account Control: Off (UAC will never notify.)
Network Access Protection: Off

Another note: Micro$oft can't seem to even be consistent in the capitalization of their settings phrases, either! (See underlined words above! ... or their counterparts, take your pick!)  :doh:

Yeh even tho it was set to auto i would always run a manual daily check and update this way i could manualy check what the updates are. So realy the thing thats  bugging me with this is that something is changing the setting and then effectivly locking me out. It could be a windows auto update that got through or could have been a kaspersky update as  both have messed up my  comp several times in the past.  I just don't like strange things happening on my comp or settings randomly changing 

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
I think everything that gpedit.msc does can also be done in the registry editor.

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Print