Print 

Author Topic: Explorer.exe crashing  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Dusaro

• Junior Poster
  • AWPS are for n00bs
Explorer.exe crashing
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »
Starting to get really annoying...
Explorer.exe(Windows Explorer) keeps crashing if Rainmeter loads after Xfire on startup, otherwise, it keeps responding.

Any suggestions for fixing this?
I don't want to uninstall Rainmeter.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Operating System).

Dusaro/FM's Known HB History
Nov 13, 2010: Joined HB
UNKNOWN PERIOD
Jul 28, 2011: Reapplied for HB
Jul 29, 2011: ReAccepted into HB
Jul 31, 2011: RePromoted to Forum Moderator(Field Marshall)
Jan 30, 2012: Promoted to Co-Leader
July 27, 2012: HB Disbanded
Dec 2, 2012: HB Reopened
Dec 2, 2012: Became Advisor for Anarchy(new leader)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Explorer.exe crashing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:40:09 PM »

Well, from what I can find, this is a very common problem, and the "fix" is rather elusive....

Short version: You have a bad rule or an incorrect setting, corrupted or too many themes / theme modifiers, and/or corrupted or missing registry and/or Stardock settings.

The best advice that I see about how to deal with this oh-so-obviously-crummy-software is to "be sure to take lots of snapshots with the snapshot feature so you can go back a step when something goes wrong."

Personally, I've never used the thing(s), nor do I ever plan to....

GL, and sorry I can't give you more info.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:06:22 AM »
Are you sure it's related to xfire?  And it only happens if xfire loads first?  If so, don't load xfire on startup. 

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »
I've had xfire conflict with programs before... I really question the coding in the program. On my old computer Xfire would cause it to blue screen if my mate was playing League of Legends, and had skype going.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
Are you sure it's related to xfire?  And it only happens if xfire loads first?  If so, don't load xfire on startup.

This post shows that I did not explain one part of the problem in enough detail, hence this:

The Themes stuff is a total memory pig. If there is not enough free, contiguous memory available it will just die. So it is likely that xfire takes up enough memory soas to not allow Themes to have a large enough (contiguous) chunk, resulting in Themes crashing.

My point was to get you to focus on your usage of Themes, and to try paring it down, to see if you can create a Theme-based setup that's small enough to work.  (I.e. Get rid of all of them, then start a little at a time, taking snapshots of the ones that work along the way.)

Capeesh?

P.S. If you know how to use the Windows Resource Monitor you can see what's going on with your memory in real time with that, which would cut out the guesswork.  FYI: Xfire takes about 100MB in memory. I have no idea what the Themes stuff hogs, but I know it takes a lot more that 100MB!...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:29:45 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Øụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
May be relevant or not... I spent alot of time installing and upgrading stardock software and it's not perfect by a longshot. So many problems caused that eventually I dropped fences, object dock, windowsblinds, etc.etc. just wasn't worth the headaches. :doh: :bang: :muah: :AOL:

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
Hmmm, well if it's running out of memory, then I would check your virtual memory settings.  Make sure they are system-controlled, or that at least you have sufficient paging space.

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »
i use rainmeter myself one thing i have noticed is that it does take up a bit of cpu. i use some gadgets that will estimate it. and rainmeter will take up quite a bit. i know for me it does because of the skins and stuff i have for it. I noticed that i've been shutting it off more and more. and only run it to open a program then close it again. thats my opinion on it.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Print