Print 

Author Topic: Holy Smokes... My neighborhood almost burned  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
Holy Smokes... My neighborhood almost burned
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
Gotta love SoCal giant flames for over 8000 acres burned right outside my house. :sigh:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:50:47 PM by Black)(WOLF »

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
Re: Holy Smokes... My neighborhood almost burned
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »
Keep Malibu n Pt. Magu in your thoughts y'all!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »

It's gonna be a REAL BAD fire season this year in CAH-lee-FOR-knee-Ahhhh / US....   :siren:

'Might even reach heights akin to recent past in Australia, I fear....  :o

Keep that brush cut way back from those structures!

Best wishes to all who may be in possible future peril.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
My house just missed the fires by 3 blocks and now its coming around like a horseshoe towards my work several miles away yikes  :clint:

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
28000 acres burned; lol everyone talks about the earthquakes in other states but really it's the fires that are terrifying and flaming consistent in there appearances.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
28000 acres burned; lol everyone talks about the earthquakes in other states but really it's the fires that are terrifying and flaming consistent in there appearances.

Your forgetting the mudslides, floods, the trap-you-in-your-cabin heavy snows, oh, and the high prices, too....  ::)

Pssst, 'Volfy: You're supposed to make it sound even worse than it is to keep them from wanting to move here!  :doh:

::)

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »

Your forgetting the mudslides, floods, the trap-you-in-your-cabin heavy snows, oh, and the high prices, too....  ::)

Pssst, 'Volfy: You're supposed to make it sound even worse than it is to keep them from wanting to move here!  :doh:

::)

Oh right did I mention the Taxes here if this states taxes had a wrestler persona = Andre the Giant + Rowdy Roddy Piper + Hulk Hogan + some random dude like Jake the MilkMan Milliman or Jerry Blackwell or Corporal Kirchner.

& Don't forget Valley Fever my friends now that is something to fear!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:28:27 PM by Black)(WOLF »

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »
950 Firefighters contained that badboy to 28000 acres of burnt mountain side. Thats the scariest since 1994 when that whole region burned around the same time as the massive Northridge Earthquake.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:46 AM »

Who knows how badly it might've gone if we hadn't had that/this spate of cold, wet weather, eh?

I'll give Ma Nature some props for "dodging the bullet" this time....

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Pics of the old fire yeesh... Thank goodness for that wet weather although it did make the hillsides quite slippery for the poor firefighters  :zoid:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:33:36 PM by Black)(WOLF »

Offline -AD-Gumby

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »
Ugh, those photos bring back memories of the Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado last year.  It burned about 18,000 acres and nicked the northwest part of Colorado Springs, burning 347 homes.  It's shaping up to be a nasty fire season in the west.

Offline Revelation

• Newbie Poster
  • We protect the public.. from themselves!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 06:02:36 AM »
I'm a firefighter/ EMT for my real life job, do you know how many field fires that we have been on this far? Without looking at the report I would have to say at least 30-35, and the field burning season is not yet over. Next field fire I'm on I will take a few pics and upload them!
" When you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.. "

"Let no mans ghost ever come back and say his training has failed him"
- Walls of the fire academy -

BFM History:

• Application June 1st, 2013

Offline Ψụ†₭ąṧ‡

• Junior Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »
I'm a firefighter/ EMT for my real life job, do you know how many field fires that we have been on this far? Without looking at the report I would have to say at least 30-35, and the field burning season is not yet over. Next field fire I'm on I will take a few pics and upload them!

Be safe out there bro; and thanks for puttin yours on the line for mine and everyone elses  :angel:

Offline Āmurs Raganām

• Newbie Poster
  • Most do not deserve that right...
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 11:31:01 PM »

It's gonna be a REAL BAD fire season this year in CAH-lee-FOR-knee-Ahhhh / US....   :siren:

'Might even reach heights akin to recent past in Australia, I fear....  :o

Keep that brush cut way back from those structures!

Best wishes to all who may be in possible future peril.

What a prophecy This is from google today
A Blazing Giant Stirs California to High Alert!

Sorry California for your burning misfortune.
Perhaps you will rise from the ashes
I hope all is will be well there soon :usa:
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

Well, the Fire-to-beat-them-all as of now is the California Rim fire near Yosemite National Park.  :o

It has now gotten so large - over 300 miles2 / 777 km2 - and so out of hand that it is not only having huge effects on the ground, but is now having planet-wide side-effects:siren:

Enlarge the second image down in the "Images" pane on the right. See that red plume to the far left? That's the carbon monoxide "fallout" from the Rim fire....  :doh:  (While your at it, take a look at where the huge concentrations of carbon monoxide are world-wide to see who needs to get their "Global Warming Gas" act together ASAP....  ::) )

P.S. I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but this fire is potentially on its way further north into the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and is already threatening the hydroelectric power stations and fresh water supply basins* that provide nearly all of the water and power for the greater San Francisco Bay area. (Including yours truly! :o )

* There is already some danger to the water supply due to the higher acidity of the water as a result of ash fall in the reservoirs. Turbidity levels are NOT affected yet, however.... The water system folks have already enacted emergency status as a precaution.

[Excerpt from NBC Bay Area news report:

"As the Rim fire continued its march across Yosemite, flames began to increasingly bear down on the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, the source of water for 2.6 million people in the Bay Area.

Officials with San Francisco’s Public Utilities Commission said the blaze had moved within 300 yards of the reservoir and was raining ash onto the water.

“We have visual confirmation that ash has been landing on top of the reservoir,” said Tye Jue, spokesman with the SFPUC. “But we draw our water about 260 feet below the surface of the water, so the ash has not really entered the system.”

Water managers weren’t sounding the alarm. They said monitors along the 459 mile system showed turbidity levels [remain] at .2 .]

NOT good if this continues for very long tho!  :-\
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:08:46 AM by MrMxyzptlk »

Print