Print 

Author Topic: FYI: A recommendation on a portable storage device  (Read 1489 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
FYI: A recommendation on a portable storage device
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »

Yesterday I bought a Seagate 1TB "Backup Plus" Portable hard drive (Model Number: STBU500100), which I am now using to back up my Windows User stuff and my music and photos (which I keep on drives other than C:), and a copy of my 8GB Portable Apps* thumb drive (for when "the cloud" is "down."  :winkgrin: .)

- The drive was US$69.99 with an additional $10 off via Seagate rebate.

- Comes with an 18" USB 3.0 (AKA "SS" or "Super Speed"  :doh: ) which is just long enough to reach the middle of the top of my compy when plugged into a rear-panel USB 3.0 slot.

- The device - as is part of the SS device format - uses the same/single cable for power and data transfer.

- FireWire (800) and Thunderbolt cables are available separately.

- Compatible with: WinXP/Vista/7/8 & Mac OSX 10.6 or higher

- The device is about the same size as my Droid smartphone, just slightly larger in each dimension. ('Would still fit in a pocket tho.)
Tech Dim's in mm: 14.5h x 81.1w x 123.4l , wt: 224gms

- Not sure, but I think the Costco one only comes in black?

- 'Comes with some kind of "helper" software they call "Seagate Dashboard Software" and an offer to give you some "free" cloud storage ... for one year.  ::)  (I did NOT use the "helper software" or cloud space, so nothing to say about that....)

- At US$60~ its not the best price/GB density, but it is the sleekest one I've seen, and just what I'd been wanting.

* If you don't know about this, then check it out here.
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
Re: FYI: A recommendation on a portable storage device
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
Still using my 8yo 250gb WD IDE external...

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline BFM_SirTaco

• BFM Admin
  • Bother!!!!!
Re: FYI: A recommendation on a portable storage device
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »
I actually have one of these as well Mxy.  I would definitely recommend these.  I use it for music and a system backup

Print