Print 

Author Topic: Driver Updates  (Read 1856 times)

Offline BFM_Invert

• Major
  • The best laps are finished upside-down! ( Tx fuse)
Driver Updates
« on: July 26, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
I'm not sure how many drivers I have on my PC but it seems like a lot.  I think 42zillion might be a close number.

I recently viewed my 'device manager' to look at my video card drivers.  When I right click on my card in the 'display adapters' it has a command to 'update driver software'.  I did this and it came back saying the drivers were up to date.  I then viewed the properties and got the version number.  Then I went to the manufacture web site and found indeed there was a new update available which I downloaded and installed.  Windows told me everything was up to date when it actually was not.  I found this also to be true on my network adapter drivers.  Windows says everything is okay but when I go to the web site new updates are available.

I have since downloaded 'GeForce Experience' for my video card which makes it easy to see if there are updates.  But this only covers my video card.

Now for my question.  Does anyone know of some reliable software that can review all my drivers and tell me if updates are available?  I'd prefer not to spend any money but will if necessary.  I've done some exploration and have found several brand names of software but I have no idea if they are reliable.

Time is free, but it's priceless.  You can't ownit, but you can use it.  You can't keep it, but you can spend it.  Once you've lost it you can never get it back.

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
Re: Driver Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:03:47 AM »
you can try razor game booster. it has feature to tell what drivers can be updated. although im not exactly sure if it will come up with stuff but some it should.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 01:17:17 AM »

Ya, drivers, especially video drivers, are usually "late to the game" for a good reason: They're not fully tested/ready yet... according to Micro$oft's definition of "ready."

USUALLY* windows updates will only provide a list of "Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL)"-certified driver updates.  Video manufacturers don't like to wait for that to happen, and often release them based on only their own testing.

Does this matter?  In my experience: Yes.  (I have been bitten by manufacturer-released drivers only to find WHQL-certified drivers that were applied later in a windows update worked fine....  And the version number of the driver HAD been updated, as well....)

* This is why I DISABLE ALL AUTOMATIC WINDOWS UPDATES and apply them manually, and I NEVER use vendor-provided drivers (unless they were part of the kit for the new device itself.  Then I install the enclosed drivers, and any newer drivers will show up when I request my next manual Windows Update.  (And I ALWAYS create a Restore Point to allow easy restoration of  them if something fails with one of the new drivers I get in a download.)

Now for my question.  Does anyone know of some reliable software that can review all my drivers and tell me if updates are available?  I'd prefer not to spend any money but will if necessary.  I've done some exploration and have found several brand names of software but I have no idea if they are reliable.

Nope, for the very reasons described above.  By NO MEANS should you PAY for such a thing anyway, either!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Invert

• Major
  • The best laps are finished upside-down! ( Tx fuse)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I'd already decided I won't pay for any software.  I'd seen and downloaded Razer's software some time ago but never installed it.  I really didn't think I needed it at the time. 

So if I understand correctly, Windows will update my drivers once it's been WHQL which is why I'm getting the message my drivers are currently up to date.  Good piece of information, thanks for sharing Mxy. 

Time is free, but it's priceless.  You can't ownit, but you can use it.  You can't keep it, but you can spend it.  Once you've lost it you can never get it back.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »

FYI: Microsoft created the WHQ Labs for good reason: They were finding that something in the 80's percent of Windows crashes were due to poorly-written drivers from vendors.

Can't say that I blame them for doing it then, right?

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print