Print 

Author Topic: NIC  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Dusaro

• Junior Poster
  • AWPS are for n00bs
NIC
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
So, A lot of online games on my PC have been crashing due to Read Timed Out errors when I am connected straight to the router via Ethernet Cable. If I bridge the connection through my laptop it doesn't crash at all.
I did a ping with my computer connected to the router and laptop, The pings returned about the same (Bridged took longer by 10ms).
If I was to replace the cable, I would have to get under the house and lay all the wiring again... (Not a fan of that)
Instead, I was thinking of getting a Internal Wireless NIC or Wireless Card/Adapter.

What are some brands or products that you guys would recommend?

Thanks
--Dusaro

Dusaro/FM's Known HB History
Nov 13, 2010: Joined HB
UNKNOWN PERIOD
Jul 28, 2011: Reapplied for HB
Jul 29, 2011: ReAccepted into HB
Jul 31, 2011: RePromoted to Forum Moderator(Field Marshall)
Jan 30, 2012: Promoted to Co-Leader
July 27, 2012: HB Disbanded
Dec 2, 2012: HB Reopened
Dec 2, 2012: Became Advisor for Anarchy(new leader)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: NIC
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »

...Annnnd, you've gone through at least TWO trials after having done full network resets already, and this persists, yes?

If you haven't, do so.

You could just be suffering from "cruft buildup" in one or more portions of your network connection path.

And now for my usual message about "ping testing": It means little-to-nothing, except to test for ACCESS to a location (IP). (I.e. That the destination has been found and reported as existing.)

"Ping" packets are a special case in networking ((ICMP) or "echo request" packets), and are NOT handled in anything near the same way all other network traffic is handled. (Think of ping packets as extremely short, low-effort, "ultra-high priority" special network packets.  E.g. Like the difference between shining a laser pointer across the street and seeing it reflect back, versus folding and packing your clothes into a suitcase and pushing it on a roller skate across the street, unpacking it all, changing clothes, packing other clothes back up, and pushing it back on that skate again representing "normal" Internet traffic.....

Ping is most useful for simply establishing that an IP address can be reached and give a very simple reply. (Like flicking a light switch on and off to see if the light works....)
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Dusaro

• Junior Poster
  • AWPS are for n00bs
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 03:19:28 AM »
Brought a TL-WDN4800 540Mbps Wireless N Dual Band NIC Express Adapter. fixed all my problems.

Dusaro/FM's Known HB History
Nov 13, 2010: Joined HB
UNKNOWN PERIOD
Jul 28, 2011: Reapplied for HB
Jul 29, 2011: ReAccepted into HB
Jul 31, 2011: RePromoted to Forum Moderator(Field Marshall)
Jan 30, 2012: Promoted to Co-Leader
July 27, 2012: HB Disbanded
Dec 2, 2012: HB Reopened
Dec 2, 2012: Became Advisor for Anarchy(new leader)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
Brought a TL-WDN4800 540Mbps Wireless N Dual Band NIC Express Adapter. fixed all my problems.

Now that's one serious NIC!

You can probably use it to broadcast shortwave to other continents, too!

:LOL:

P.S.: GJ!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print