Print 

Author Topic: Cheaper, more dense, more efficient, faster memory than current NAND Flash  (Read 2231 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage

Startup's 'RRAM' Tech Promises 1TB Memory for Mobile Devices

By Damon Poeter, PC Magazine
August 5, 2013 04:00pm EST

Crossbar RRAM

A California startup called Crossbar is working on an alternative to current NAND Flash memory chips like those used in mobile devices and other consumer electronics products.  [This new] technology could serve up a terabyte of storage and playback capacity on "an IC smaller than a postage stamp." [e.g. 1TB on 200mm2, and they can stack chips in 3D to make blocks of them.]

Crossbar, which came out of stealth mode on Monday, calls its "new category of very high capacity and high-performance non-volatile memory" technology "Crossbar Resistive RAM," or RRAM, though several tech sites are dubbing it "ReRAM."

"This new generation of non-volatile memory will be capable of storing up to 1TB of data on a single 200mm2 chip, enabling massive amounts of information, such as 250 hours of HD movies, to be stored and played back from an IC smaller than a postage stamp," Crossbar said in a statement announcing its presence.

The startup also said it has already built a "working Crossbar memory array at a commercial fab, a major milestone in the development of new memory technology, signaling its readiness to begin the first phase of productization."

[Technogarble removed...]

"With our working Crossbar array, we have achieved all the major technical milestones that prove our RRAM technology is easy to manufacture and ready for commercialization. It's a watershed moment for the non-volatile memory industry."

The key benefits users will get from Crossbar's RRAM technology and the capability for "3D-stacking" of multiple chips in a System-on-a-Chip (SoC) package, per the company, are:

* Highest Capacity: Up to 1TB of storage on a single chip; multiple terabytes with 3D stacking
* Lowest Power: Extends Battery Life to Weeks, Months, or Years
* Highest Performance: 20x faster write than NAND [traditional method now in widespread use]
* Easiest SoC Integration: Simple stacking on logic in standard CMOS at most advanced nodes
* Most Reliable: 10x the endurance of NAND, approaching DRAM reliability

[Remainder of article removed.]

Expect earliest commercial availability of an even MORE advanced version in/by 2016. (Volume prices in 2017 at less than half the early prices, and higher densities, etc.)

Expect to see various names for this tech, such as: "Crossbar Resistive RAM," RRAM, and ReRAM....

1TB flash drives that fit on your fingernail!

Yowza!  :o

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
I was reading this on Tom's Hardware.... sounds pretty flash!

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
This sounds like it could open up all kinds of new storage solutions and if its as small as they say it is  they could even have it directly plug into the motherboard like a add on storage chip thus removing the need for bulky 2.5 / 3.5 drives for mass storage.  Imagine the posibilitys a motherboard with say 6 RRAM chip slots for up to 6TB of storage directly on the motherboard.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
This sounds like it could open up all kinds of new storage solutions and if its as small as they say it is  they could even have it directly plug into the motherboard like a add on storage chip thus removing the need for bulky 2.5 / 3.5 drives for mass storage.  Imagine the posibilitys a motherboard with say 6 RRAM chip slots for up to 6TB of storage directly on the motherboard.

Don't forget the possibilities of it being made "hot-plug-able," too....  :o

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
I think a certain Daft Punk song is in order...
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Do you have a link to some technogarble?  I am interested in how this differs from NAND architecture...at the logic gate level.  NAND architecture has always been known to NOT be the best performing architecture for memory.  It has been the standard architecture for so long because it is the simplest and cheapest to mass produce.  I am reading the Wiki on it now and, it may not be up to date, but it sounds like the unique challenges this new technology is facing is slowly being solved...but unless I am reading it wrong the way they are solving the new challenges (like parasitic current) is by introducing small bits of current architecture or technology.  They are also suggesting that it may be more suited to solving mass storage limitations than RAM type memory applications...that may change of course as the technology evolves.

The guys who come up with this stuff are amazing to me.  It is one thing to be an engineer who can build a massively complex machine...but the guys who develop this stuff are a unique mixture of engineer and artist.  They keep using the same small amount of raw materials and basic electronic functions...but they find more imaginative and "artistic" ways to rearrange them to do more, faster, better things that could never be done before.  I find it fascinating.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Print