Print 

Author Topic: Reformatting a hard drive  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
Reformatting a hard drive
« on: August 31, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
i know how to reformat a hard drive. Im carious on how i can reformat a secondary hard drive. Ive only formatted one being plugged it so i don't know how to do it to a slave/secondary. The other hard drive does have windows 7 installed on it. as it is my older hard drive that had a few issues, i hope to fix by reformatting it. Would i need to only have that hard drive in and boot off the windows 7 re install disk. and would the secondary drive be registered a different letter or would i have to manually set the letter?
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Reformatting a hard drive
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:08:40 AM »
i know how to reformat a hard drive. Im carious on how i can reformat a secondary hard drive. Ive only formatted one being plugged it so i don't know how to do it to a slave/secondary. The other hard drive does have windows 7 installed on it. as it is my older hard drive that had a few issues, i hope to fix by reformatting it. Would i need to only have that hard drive in and boot off the windows 7 re install disk. and would the secondary drive be registered a different letter or would i have to manually set the letter?

Um, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't work like that....

You can't simply take an-already-installed Windows OS and move it to a different computer. Whether you know it or not, there are a LOT of differences even between two identical sets of hardware, in fact. (To whit: The drive and Windows serial numbers....)

You could TRY to make the swap, and eventually force it to become SIMILAR to what either of the originals were like, but there is pretty-much no way to make what you'd get to be IDENTICAL to one or the other, and you'd have little power over whatever Windows chose to do in order to generate the resultant drive & OS while trying to make sense of the combination.

Now if you're simply planning on trying to use the second drive as a "new copy" of you original drive, sure, you can wipe the old drive and clone the original drive onto the secondary drive and make use of IT ALONE (not the two in one system, unless you fiddle with a few things to straighten out which OS is which!)

Also, no matter what you do you'll need to make sure that whichever OS instance you choose to use that you keep that drive's serial number to match, or Windows will complain that it's not a registered version....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
Re: Reformatting a hard drive
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:47:16 AM »
Sorry i didnt seem to be clear thats my fault. i have a 1tb hd that has a windows os that was for my comp i ended up getting a new one. what i want to do is run it so i have 2 1tb hd's in my computer.

My comp came with a re downloadable win7 os cd for my dell comp. the comp came with a 1tb hard drive and was getting a few issues with it so i went and bought a new one. i want to reformat the original so i can run two 1 tb hd's in the comp.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Print