Print 

Author Topic: adware  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
adware
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »
So recently i gotten a mod for minecraft that had an installer. low and behold there was an adware that got installed on my comp called ScorpionSaver. I've been trying to get rid of it but every time i tried it always comes back. Currently im running Malware Bytes and scanning as im typing this. So far i tried manual uninstall via control panel but that didn't work. i found a few forums but haven't had much luck since most are filled with log files.

Any advise would be helpful. thanks.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: adware
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »

I did a google search for "how to remove scorpionsaver" and found a good video and other good sites...

You have to uninstall it,
then check your start up programs (disable and delete it if there),
check scheduled tasks (disable and delete if it's there),
check extensions / add-ons for all browsers you use (disable and delete),
check the Program Files folder and make sure there are no folders for it,
remove it from the Temp folders and/or run CCleaner (both the cleaner and the registry cleaner).

Also check for these items when you're checking for ScorpionSaver:

LyricsSay-1, LyricXeeker, HD-Plus, Browse2Save, WebCake 3.00, DownloadTerms 1.0, LyricsBuddy-1, SuperLyrics-1, ElectroLyrics-1, a2zLyrics-1, SimpleLyrics,1ClickDownload, Superfish, Yontoo and FBPhotoZoom. 

You can probably find the same video, it was one of the first hits in my search.

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the help jane. :) seems to cleared it up. Instead of using CCleaner i went into Regedit and searched for scorpionsaver and scorpionsaver services and removed them manually from there. only because im not familiar with CCleaner and how it works with reg files.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »

'You trying to put me out of business, Jane?

:winkgrin:

P.S. Well done!

P.P.S. CCleaner is actually pretty good at cleaning up (Registry) cruft, especially on older systems. Be sure to disable any actions you don't want it to take by default. (E.g. I only use it to "clean" my aging Registry, so I turn off all its other functions....) It saves copies of the changes it makes to the Registry, so it's automatically "safe" to use, too.

I run the "Registry clean" function over and over until it finds nothing, and save all the results from its scans in dated folders.

It doesn't make much of a difference to most systems, but if you've un/installed a lot of stuff over a long period it can give you back a minor overall speed increase.
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print