Print 

Author Topic: Flushing DNS  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
Flushing DNS
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
SO lately ive been playing a game called blacklight retribution, and noticed that the game launcher would pop up a dns error in explorer. So after searching for a bit about the issue, Perfect World posted Flushing DNS to help with game launcher and connection issues would help. I'm carious wither its safe or not. Does flushing DNS cause issues or is it ok.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Flushing DNS
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »

Wait... Are you saying that there's SOFTWARE out there called "Flushing DNS" that purports to twiddle with your DNS magically to "make it better" somehow?

'Sounds like "virus bait" to me, and searches I did didn't make it look like anything helpful that really IMPROVES your machine.

There ARE reasons for flushing your DNS cache from time-to-time, but they're rare, they depend on your Windows version, and really don't do much.

Post or PM me your Windows OS version and I can point you to Micro$oft's step-by-step instructions for flushing your DNS cache.
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:16 PM »
Sent you a pm to better explain the issue. and its no program just via Cmd, the ipconfig /flushdns
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:20 AM »
Sent you a pm to better explain the issue. and its no program just via Cmd, the ipconfig /flushdns

Yup, that's the command.

All it does is reset the DNS cache list, thus ridding old Domain Name Service (DNS) values hanging around.
No worries about getting rid of them, as a timer would've eventually done the same refreshing/clearing of the table eventually.

Sometimes even doing this might not flush the DNS table fully, so please do post again if the flush command doesn't work.

For more about what DNS is and does for you, see here.
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:21:05 PM »
Ok just tired it and the command works but doesn't fully fix the launcher but helps it. The bug may be their part or my ISP.
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Print