Print 

Author Topic: trying to run halo combat evolved with new comp/ windows 8  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Sst

• Newbie Poster
  • My Mallies
    • Sst/Concorde
trying to run halo combat evolved with new comp/ windows 8
« on: February 02, 2014, 12:21:08 PM »
Hi

I haven't played halo for nearly a year and am having trouble running the program with my new computer. When I click on the icon, takes you through the music end of it at startup Ok then at the end screen goes completely Black with music playing, but will allow me to go no further. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sst

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: trying to run halo combat evolved with new comp/ windows 8
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »

I haven't checked to see about this myself (as I have no motivation to get/use Windoze 8/8.1), but try this:

0) Right-click the Halo icon and select "Properties," then select the "Compatibility" tab.

1)  Assure the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" is checked, then assure "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" is chosen and displayed.

2) Check the "Run as Administrator" box near the bottom, then the "OK" button to dismiss the pop-up "Properties" window.

Now give it a try!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Sst

• Newbie Poster
  • My Mallies
    • Sst/Concorde
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Hi

I did get it working after a couple of conversations with Microsoft and one with HP. Both were not able to help, but an acquaintance told me to update drivers on graphics card (intel 4600). I am running in compatibility mode XP service pack 3 and administrator. So now at start up, it says Fatal Error, and will not let me move on. However if I use troubleshoot and then test program, it works perfectly. It takes a little longer to get to my goal, but hey am able to play again.

Thanks for your advice Mxy

See you out there

Sst, currently using RuSsty

Offline Sst

• Newbie Poster
  • My Mallies
    • Sst/Concorde
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »
It now works ok without the test program thing. I added the word console and it works ok, cannot adjust colour, but efficient enough

Print