Print 

Author Topic: Yeeaaahhh... Your devices have no security, and haven't for some time now....  (Read 1344 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Beware the announcement of the beast "Freak SSL". (Yes, that's the name they gave it....  ::) )

Every place I can find that has good info about it has a "comments" section, so alas I cannot direct you to a site with the story and info, but if you just search "Freak SSL" you can read all about it from hundreds of sites.

What's that problem this time, you say?

Oh, just a little exploit that's been hanging around in your MS PCs (Internet Explorer), iThing (Safari on Mac OS X and iOS; Yes, the iPHONEs, to!), and even Android devices(Chrome on Android; the stock Android browser), including Android cellphones! . . .

But wait! There's MORE!: It also includes - the BlackBerry browser, Opera on Mac OS X, and even Linux* ... - for DECADES now....  :doh:

Face it: It could be a problem on any device that you've got, really....

There is some shred of light, though:

1) There's an online FREAK Client Test Tool app that can you can use to check if you're "bugged" with this/these flaws.  (e.g./P.S.: I tried it on my Win7 PC with Chrome and it said "Chrome for Windows and all versions of Firefox are known to be safe.")

2) Some "clean" versions exist, usually from a given release/update sometime in the recent past.

3) Companies and providers are scrambling to get out fixes/updates/patches post haste.
    (Heh. My current (v-old) Motorola phone is on the "vulnerable" list! I was getting ready to pick up my new, classified SAFE replacement phone this weekend!  :yesyes: )

* Short description, for Tech types:
"The FREAK security bug that allows attackers to conduct man-in-the-middle attacks on Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) connections encrypted using an outmoded cipher."
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print