Print 

Author Topic: Call of Duty 4: The Good, the Bad, and Ugly  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
Call of Duty 4: The Good, the Bad, and Ugly
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:41:02 AM »
Ok, this one had caught my interest a while back ago, since Infinity Ward was known for their ground breaking Call of Duty series being set in WWII. The main point of the series was that 'No man fights alone.'; which is to say you weren't some run and gun super soldier who would single-handedly defeat the entire enemy Army. Rather you were a soldier who was part of a intelligent and competent team of professionals. This meant that team mates were now assets, not some half blind, half stupid meat shields that you had to hold their hands through the whole war with. Allies became expendable to enemy fire, however they were also reliable to lay down covering fire, drawing fire, and actually winning the war. Part of this design came from the founders of Infinity Ward being dissatisfied with the Medal of Honor Series that they had worked on previously. With this incarnation the battles have moved from WWII (a well beaten dead horse), to the modern era, with all the neat bells and whistles to go with it, which is a wonderful change from the dying genre of WWII shooters.

THE GOOD

Like almost everything for the next-gen systems, the graphics are gorgeous, particularly in details like smoke and particle rendering, and even with details such as the IR sights on some weapons (visible only with Night vision goggles). Speaking of which, one of the new and well deserved additions is the night vision goggles, allowing for not only low light visibility, but also the before mentioned IR sights. This lets you see where allies are shooting, letting you know where enemies are. Also improved upon is the aiming system with the sights. By popping out of the sights and back into it your weapon will draw a bead on a near-by target, meaning you don't need to be a perfect shot, just close. This, along with the 20+ choices of weapons (yes, 20 real world weapons from pistols to Stinger Missiles are rendered) help define the game from previous titles in the series. Even more so, allies are capable of picking up player slack so it really feels like they are covering your back and aren't throwing you to the wolves.

Gameplay transition has also greatly improved with the all out removal of the "Wait X:XX amount of time until reinforcements arrive". That alone caused a great deal of frustration from this player, as well as many others. The mission objective system has also been upgraded; being based on situational information. For example, your first mission is SAS (Special Air Services) raid on a cargo ship and as new information becomes known objectives will change to reflect said data, or even adding new objectives accordingly. This, along with the open nature of the environments helps keep the game from feeling scripted, but rather give it a more cinematic feel. Adding to this is the ability in certain sections to call for helo gunships, or F/A-18 airstrikes to lay down cover, or for you to plant claymore mines and C4 charges to protect your flank.

A whole new section added is when you play as an SAS sniper in full guille suit and sneak through the zone of Alienation 30 Km outside Chernobyl. Here you and your team leader must use stealth and caution to sneak to your target without being spotted, occasionally testing the patience and nerves of the player. A particularly nice touch is the level of detail on the guille suits and how when laying still in the low grass the enemy literally needs to step on you to spot you.

Like with previous titles there are 'on rail' shooter parts, in this case one is you are the gunner of an AC-130 Gunship manning the 25mm gattling gun, the 40mm cannon, and the whopping 105mm howitzer as the aircraft orbits a combat area. Frankly, that part felt like those videos that show up on youtube , right down to the black and white thermal imaging. There is also a section that you play as the door gunner on a Sea King helicopter, and lastly a part where you are riding along in a truck (that seems to be their favorite to make). While not a new thing, they have found ways to improve upon a rather bland concept and make it fun.

There is also a subtle humor to the game, such as on the first mission one of your squadies pulling out a shotgun and saying "I keep this for close encounters." (Aliens), or one chapter called "Charlie doesn't surf" (Apocalypse Now). In a strangely funny fashion, Captain Price, assuming it's the same 'person', hasn't aged since 1943, and still has his uniquely British mustache. You can also 'return' enemy grenades, but frankly there is no way that I would pick up a live grenade, even to throw it back.

In the Multiplayer part of the game once you get 3 kills without dying you can call in a UAV to spot the enemy, 5 kills allows you to call in a carpet bombing, and 7 allow you to call in a helicopter gunship to attack the enemies. However, if the enemy has an RPG they can actually shoot down the helo, so it can only help so much. You can also create customized class sets to play with; from weapons, attachments, side arm, special grenade, and perks. Each has a strength and a weakness and requires full experimentation to fully understand how each works.

THE BAD

Tough call actually. As pretty as it is there is still something about it that is just a bit off. Dying is also semi-common on the harder difficulty levels, however most of that can be caused by bad decisions by the player. The exception is on the AC-130 mission it is VERY difficult to spot the strobes on the friendlies, so you may accident strafe allies. While they did get rid of the wait X:XX minutes for support, they changed it to "You have X:XX to evac/rescue" While I can see the reason for this, I hate deadlines.

Since I just started playing the multiplayer part I'll add this in. Starting off a newbie you are limited to a sparse selection of weapons that you can spawn with. The only way to earn newer ones, as well as attachments for them you must earn experience and 'promote' by playing. Probably the oddest addition is when you reach the rank of Colonel you unlock the StG. 44 Sturmgewehr, a German Assault rifle from WWII. Yeah, why is this here if this is supposed to be modern Warfare?

There is also no Russian missions as seen in previous Call of Duty titles. I would have loved to play through as a member of Spetznaz and use nothing but uniquely Russian equipment. But sadly it was not meant to be and only SAS ("Who dares wins") and US Marine Force Recon ("Semper Fidelis").

THE UGLY

Well, since this is a multiplayer game there is the normal stuff, so I'll not bother to list them. However, gameplay itself is rather intense, particularly a point in the beginning you 'play' as a character who is being driven through a war torn city in the Middle East somewhere. Things witnessed include prisoners being lined up and shot, as well as this character's own death from his own eyes. Later on you also 'hear' the interrogation of a terrorist leader prisoner, then witness your CO execute him after getting the intel he wanted. In one of the most interesting missions as an SAS sniper you take a shot at an individual and it severs his arm (scripted plot point). Probably the most disturbing part is a brief section after a nuclear weapon is detonated (no spoilers, you can get that alone from the commercials) and your Sea King crashes. You have a few moments of control as your Marine stumbles out of the wreckage into the nuclear holocaust outside, before he succumbs to injuries or radiation poisoning. Thankfully blood and gore is kept to a minimum, however many of these scenes are still rather intense and are not recommended for younger players.

In all, a good game with good fun, but like others in the series a little on the short side.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:31:41 PM by BFM_Gryphon »

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: Call of Duty 4: The Good, the Bad, and Ugly
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:40:31 AM »
Good review. I've been eyeing this game since it was released. Thanks :)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:01:33 PM »
I got this game on X-Mas.

If anyone is looking into buying it I highly suggest you do. Its possibly the best multiplayer PC game iv played. Extremely good graphics and a wide variety of weapons and maps.

However, If you are running Vista there are some issues to deal with. I got it going on mine fine now after some time.

Some issues with Vista:

You have to download Direct X 9.0c which to me it didn't give any troubles but iv heard it can depending on your version of Vista.

Its common for xfire to get exception data when running with COD4

The largest issue out there which is already all over forums and activision is getting slammed for this is...

Realtek Sound Drivers give extreme issues. When you start COD4 with these drivers installed theres a 95% chance its going to close on you. 

This supposedly has worked for some solving the Realtek issue...

Go to Start
Control Panel
Hardware and Sound
Sound
Recording Tab
Right click and Choose "Show Disabled Devices"
Click Sterio Mix
Choose set as default

That didn't work for me but has for some.

The best way that has been found so far to solve this is to uninstall Realtek sound drivers(can be reinstalled if needed)and use Vistas stock sound drivers. However, activision is said to be working on a patch that is going to fix this.

Other than that its a great game :D

-Tanger

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:43:02 PM by BFM_Tanger »

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »
*BUMP*

Check update above folks on Vista

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »
The campaign felt epic to me. Although, on one of the levels somehow the leader (British) got stuck so that he would just crouch and not move. Nothing got him to move, bullets, grenades, air strikes, nothing. I had to restart the map >.> The Ferris Wheel level end took forever, though. I think I played on the second hardest difficulty.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline BDS

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 01:16:02 PM »
Loved the campaign. I agree 100% with Gryphon about the graphics. The only thing I hated about the game was multiplayer. WAAAAYYY to much slayer. The servers I played on were just people running around and shooting. No particular order or anything. Teammates were of no help and there was no strategy. If someone had a clan that worked well together and didn't just run into the enemy kamakazi style, it would be way more fun. Hmmmmm.........anyone? LOL What really stinks is I made it to major and then reformatted my puter and forgot to keep the gaming folder for my saves. Now I have to start all over, but I don't think I will because of the slayer style playing. Can't wait for Rainbow Six Vegas 2....I heard that's more strategy/less slayer in multiplayer.
Just my  2c

Offline Snappy

• Senior Poster
  • you got to lose yourself in the music the moments
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
lol yeah my gamer tag is Sessions1316

and FYI its soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better then H3 in my opinion ;D

Snappy

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:24:10 PM »
I don't know if it's better than Halo 3, as much as it is different. Halo 3 is a gritty version of Star Wars, while COD4 is more like Blackhawk down, or Saving Private Ryan.

Offline BDS

• Junior Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:43:41 PM »
That's probably why I liked the campaign in COD4, it reminded me of Saving Private Ryan.  I love the movie SPR.  One of THE best war movies ever made. So, does anyone else NOT like the multiplayer in COD4, or am I just picking bad servers?

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »
To me they always come off like a team slayer match, even when you do have objectives. It's more about going Rambo that team work in most games. If the maps were larger and more tactic based than a more viceral combat style would work. However, my experiance from it is that the guys with the M-249 or M-60's tend to rule because of them charging headlong in.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 12:41:02 AM »
I love the single player, and I'm hardly through it at all on Medium. I don't have access to multiplayer unfortunately. But I'll keep playing single 'til I beat it on the hardest difficulty :D

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 01:56:06 PM »
The single player is the best part of the game, i think. It plays out like a Tom Clancy novel (only not as boring) correct that, a Jack Higgins novel. It's gritty, dynamic and never does the same thing twice.

Offline BFM_DarkFyr

• BFM Admin
  • Forza Vale
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
the only reason they didnt make online and campaign multi-player is because you would need a really big TV screen to be able to see enemys and details on 2 player. and also people on online could just get headshot on there friend standing still (staged headshots and other things).

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 12:25:12 PM »
Agreed, that's one thing I hate about playing split screen in Halo 2 and 3, I can't see the enemy well enough to shoot them.

Print