Print 

Author Topic: Ok who knows about wood stoves?  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
Re: Ok who knows about wood stoves?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »
Ya the build up can be a problem, but it is highly dependent on what you burn. There are plenty of ways to treat this too, I am sure the guy selling you the stove can tell you more.

It does not look like the one you linked in a fireplace insert though. If you are using it instead of your fireplace you can get some nice inserts with the fans and all built in and some can look really nice - read look and cost expensive.

My inlaws heat their basement with a wood stove and it does a great job with little fuss and mess. My father-in-law is great about upkeep on things though.  They have screw vent which I think are a little sturdier than the sliding vent that one shows but does the same thing. Theirs is a stand alone and this Thanksgiving they set 2 pots of veggies on top to cook while she did the rest in the kitchen.

Offline The Rebel™

• Posts Too Much
  • Rebel the Ragin Cajun
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 10:50:04 AM »
There are other alternatives Panooze. We have a fireplace insert at our house. It is basically a double box that sits in the fireplace, and like Inverts stove, it blows air between the panels and heats the place rather nicely. Ours' is probably 15 or more years old now and still works flawlessly. Only thing I could ask for would be a quieter fan on it. But the fan is not excessively loud by any means. The technology if quiet fans that we have today was just not around then. But with ours we can put 4 pieces of good oak on it at once and make you have to leave the room to cool off. That thing heats the whole front half of our home in the winter. But that reminds me... I need to go get some more fire wood. We are down to less than a chord and usually go through 2-2 1/2 a year.
Try this for starters ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:00:36 AM by The Rebel™ »
Currently traveling through the unknown times in my life. I will be back when i find myself.

Thanks for the sig BFM_H@ngm@n

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
Ya rebel, that link is what I was talking about. I looked into them about 8-10 yrs ago and had I had enough money and planned on staying in that house I would have got one. They are much more efficient and "prettier" than just a stove or typical insert without the fans. The fan utilizes more of the heat instead of letting it go up the chimney I am told. Never actually seen one in action though.

Print