Print 

Author Topic: Ok who knows about wood stoves?  (Read 6125 times)

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
Ok who knows about wood stoves?
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:28:05 PM »
I'm going to get a woodstove and put it in my fireplace since my fireplace while nice, makes it hot in front of the fire and cold everywhere else and it uses way too much wood.  I'm looking at this one: http://www.vogelzang.com/tr008.htm but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any!

Offline Fuzion

• Posts Too Much
Re: Ok who knows about wood stoves?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:37:07 PM »
Awesome, It looks cool.

Signature by AR~H@ngm@n
(July 07)

Offline Slayton V. Price

• Posts Too Much
  • Here we are, Juggernaut!!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 08:55:24 PM »
I can tell you, wood stoves are great.  When Im at my fathers place, it takes about 2 minutes after we light the fire and the entire living room is nice and toasty :supaburn:

The only thing is the carbon ashes in the elbow of the pipe.  They can create havoc.

BFM_Slayton

Offline OrbitAddict

• Posts Too Much
  • `¤_«тнιѕ,ιѕ,иот,а,Đяιʟʟ»_¤´
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »
Yeah, woodstoves do work alot better. My uncle has a farm [over 130 acres] and he raises many animals. Anyways, he raises worms which are inside a barn. The barn is pretty big, and my uncle has a woodstove in there to keep it nice and toasty. It stays at pretty good temperatures inside there, especially during a dreadfully cold winter storm.

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 10:23:12 PM »
Awesome, It looks cool.

No its HOT  :siderofl: :siderofl: :siderofl:

I can tell you, wood stoves are great.  When Im at my fathers place, it takes about 2 minutes after we light the fire and the entire living room is nice and toasty :supaburn:

The only thing is the carbon ashes in the elbow of the pipe.  They can create havoc.

BFM_Slayton

Its going in a fireplace and there should be no elbow but thanks for the tip!

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 10:25:54 PM »
Awesome, It looks cool.

No its HOT  :siderofl: :siderofl: :siderofl:

BFM_Slayton

Its going in a fireplace and there should be no elbow but thanks for the tip!

Yeah, woodstoves do work alot better. My uncle has a farm [over 130 acres] and he raises many animals. Anyways, he raises worms which are inside a barn. The barn is pretty big, and my uncle has a woodstove in there to keep it nice and toasty. It stays at pretty good temperatures inside there, especially during a dreadfully cold winter storm.

He should put some livestock in the barn, they heat up a barn pretty good too!  But a stove is great for that.  Its 21 tonight here and my heater is cranking!

Offline Contact

• Posts Too Much
  • You will give my Hoggie back!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 11:39:59 PM »
Have you considered a gas alternative?   If you have natural gas available of course.
My wife and I are considering removing our wood stove and replacing it with a gas stove the looks like a wood one (and some look really real now days) and is more environmentally friendly.  Plus no chopping, stacking, cleaning etc etc etc = more Halo time

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »
Have you considered a gas alternative?   If you have natural gas available of course.
My wife and I are considering removing our wood stove and replacing it with a gas stove the looks like a wood one (and some look really real now days) and is more environmentally friendly.  Plus no chopping, stacking, cleaning etc etc etc = more Halo time

Contact, that would be too easy!!!  But seriously, I have considered it, but I enjoy a wood fire.  I do have natural gas in my house, thank goodness I hate cooking on electric!    But we took down a bunch of trees over the past 3 years and I borrowed a chopping machine and I have around 6 or 8 cords of wood chopped and in my barn drying, plus I have around that much unchopped still I just have to borrow the machine again, that thing is amazing!

Offline BFM_Invert

• Major
  • The best laps are finished upside-down! ( Tx fuse)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 10:58:41 AM »
My stove came with a double side.  A fan is attached and blows air from inbetween the two sides.  It pushes much more heat into the room than normal convection.  I also installed a reverse fan in the ceiling and ran a 12" flex conduit through the attic to the back rooms.  One the stove room is warm I can turn on the fan to warm the back rooms too.

One word of caution which I assume you've already researched.  The creasote build up in the chiminey from a wood stove can be a big fire hazard if not brushed out on a regular basis.

Happy heating!

Time is free, but it's priceless.  You can't ownit, but you can use it.  You can't keep it, but you can spend it.  Once you've lost it you can never get it back.

Offline BFM_SirTaco

• BFM Admin
  • Bother!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »
made possible by out Turbo Burn® technology

lol!!!!

sounds cool i remember my old baby sitter had a wood stove to heat her house it worked really well

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 01:14:23 PM »
I know about wood stoves. They burn wood dont they. Not a wooden stove... hehe no that would be crazy, Octane, you silly bafoon...  :doh:

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »
I know about wood stoves. They burn wood dont they. Not a wooden stove... hehe no that would be crazy, Octane, you silly bafoon...  :doh:

Yay! Like the flaky dingbat I sometimes am, my first thought when I saw the title of this thread was, "Wouldn't it burn???" And then Hanna Montana came on TV and I started singing songs.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »
We have a wood heater where  you never have to replace the wood...Like...never...It works really well. Never tried it with a stove though.

Jane...omg...nothing else to say...ROFL.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline RUSTY0

• Junior Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 09:05:34 AM »

Yes I'd get the one with the fan. Of course Ive seen and used seveal fireplaces that had ducts built into the sides so cold air would be drawn in the bottom and exit and force warm air across the room. They work very well.  Also a wood stove
with finned radiators will transfer more heat to the air. and yeah be careful of the buildup in the flue, make it so its easy to get to and clean. :)  nothing like woodheat
in the morning.

Offline AR~H@ngm@n

• Posts Too Much
  • ~Got rope? No worries, I brought enough for you~
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 08:43:11 AM »
The build up on the insides of the pipe can be very dangerous on a wood stove.  When my father owned a firewood business (I was the grunt that would unload the trailers, split the blocks with a hydrualic log splitter, deliver and stack the wood), he used to recommend burning an aspen/pine mix once a week or so for a couple of hours.  The aspen has a very nice aroma and burns hot enough to clean most of the soot out of the pipe while the pine burned a little slower yet provide excellant heat.  A forced air (fan) stove should provide plenty of heat for that room, depending on the BTU rating and the size of the room.

Print