Print 

Author Topic: Ok. A little worried. (Graphics card) (RESOLVED)  (Read 2185 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Ok. A little worried. (Graphics card) (RESOLVED)
« on: July 29, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »
Tried updating my drivers. Failed, miserably. Halo looked a right mess. Tried rolling back but when windows restarted id have it all automatically re-install which caused more hassle than it was worth. I had to do a system restore to get halo looking back to the way it was.

However. I look at my Card's temp as i go into halo now. Its rises alot, the card makes a hissing sound which gets higher pitched as the temperature rises. Then the computer will turn itself off. I have a feeling this will happen with other games but have not tried it yet, nor do i wanna lol.  The computer has switched itself off before and ive had to lower the graphics in the past.

Ive thrown computers over the balcony before... but i dont think ill be doing that this time. Plus i dont have a balcony anymore so...  d_b Help!

Tempurature when at desktop, is at 70 degrees C  :-X
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:45:32 AM by BFM_Chaindog »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Ok. A little worried. (Graphics card)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:39:52 PM »

Um, your computer's too hot?!?

1) Open and CLEAN IT OUT INSIDE (canned air @$5US is a bargin for this!) Be sure gratings/openning are clear of dust/lint.

2) Be sure FANS ARE OPERATING (Esp. GPU fan on G-card iff any!)

3) Check that nothing has fallen down behind/around machine and blocked airflow near/around case.

Extended use of the card when overheated will, of course, ruin it at some point (if it hasn't already....  :-\ )

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »
 :doh:

1-Done the clean out all ready, had to sort out certain things when i thought the computer shutting off was due to the CPU temperature but i guess it wasnt. It was the G-Card all this time. I had no clue where to find the display of the temperature up until now nor do i know what the average operating temp is of cards like this. 85degcel cant possibly be though... (no really? lol)

2-Found out my intake fan at the front was never plugged in... YAY!
Plugged that in and the PC is lit up even more.

However, the way that the card is positioned in the case, the fan is not atall easy to see. Whether that fan is working or not i dont no. Doesnt really matter anymore... I could have sworn that was a small burn mark i saw around a certain area of the circuit board. (Eeek!)

3-Nothing had fallen into the comp, but i did do a messy wiring job and the intake fan would have probably been useless with the way those wide cables were positioned... Fixed that.

4-Isnt actually overclocked but the overclocking function was unlocked... Dont remember touching it. So i must of only unlocked it then chickened out.  ;D

Let that be a lesson or two to myself. 1- dont buy £300 graphics cards and not know how to use em... 2- if your gonna put a computer together, do it properly. lol  :bang: In short, take even more care this time round...

Thanx for the help our most prized tech wizzy!
Time to do some more shopping for a new (less expensive) one. Get a bigger HD while im at it.

Thanx again.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:31:58 PM »
:doh:

1-Done the clean out all ready, had to sort out certain things when i thought the computer shutting off was due to the CPU temperature but i guess it wasnt. It was the G-Card all this time. I had no clue where to find the display of the temperature up until now nor do i know what the average operating temp is of cards like this. 85degcel cant possibly be though... (no really? lol)

No, most cards would likely prefer to not even reach 145degF, and most certainly will not enjoy 185degF for very long!...  :o

However, the way that the card is positioned in the case, the fan is not atall easy to see. Whether that fan is working or not i dont no. Doesnt really matter anymore... I could have sworn that was a small burn mark i saw around a certain area of the circuit board. (Eeek!)

Wouldn't have to be anything falling in to the case: That temp is hot enough to scorch the PCB coating near the hotter components....

Let that be a lesson or two to myself. 1- dont buy £300 graphics cards and not know how to use em... 2- if your gonna put a computer together, do it properly. lol  :bang: In short, take even more care this time round...

Now that you know how to monitor G-card temps, be SURE to keep a sharp eye on the temp for any new G-card that you get for it's first few hours of (hopefully!) NOT-so-burn-in!  ;D

Thanx again.

NP!

GL!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print