Print 

Author Topic: Something I found. " To change screen size to fit your monitor" Maybe old news  (Read 1341 times)

Offline ÐeathÐ

• Newbie Poster
I found this and tried it out and I like it alot. I can hit the windows key and open another window without minimising halo and causing text lag. I suggest that you test it out and see if it works good for you considering that your grafics card can handle it without creating more laggy video. Its basicly the same as running halo in a window mode but here you can adjust it to the actual screen size of your monitor giving you a better aspect ratio than say running 800 by 600 on a 24 in. monitor.

You can run Halo in a window and tell it to run at any resolution you like, so long as it fits the screen. You just have to set it so that the resolution is one pixel less than your screen allows, so as to allow room for the window border. Example: screen resolution is 1920 by 1200 then put in 1919,1199.

Right click the desktop shortcut and click Properties, and go to the Target line.

At the end of that it should say something like "...halo.exe"

Add the following OUTSIDE of the quotes:

-vidmode 1919,1199 -window  ( if you have the -console already added, no problem, just add this to it and it will work fine. just remember to start with a space then type it in)

So it should look like:

"...halo.exe" -vidmode 1919,1199 -window

Make sure to include all the spaces there. When you run Halo, it should run in a window at the resolution you specified there. That's how I used to run it at 1024x480 on my old monitor (had to set it to 1023x479).

Offline ((Kàkà§hì))

• Posts Too Much
  • か か し !!
Looks like you stumbled apon something very usefull...it works for me, too. 'Bye Text Lag, forever! Nice Find, DD!!

THANKS  SLAYTON  FOR  THE  A W E S O M E  SIG!!!
http://ninjamouse.com - http://ninjamouse.com/images/Kakashi_sig24.jpg

Offline Defender

• Junior Poster
It's been around for quite a while; stunters use it because, for some reason, you can't get text lag in windowed mode no matter what you do, and that's important to make sure text-timed stunts like mass pppfr's go off without without a major hitch like text lag.  If you don't use the -vidmode command and just use -window, the game's video settings will give you some resolutions you can set it to, up to but NOT including your desktop resolution (obviously, since it's windowed; the game won't even give you the option).  And as long as there's another screen open on your desktop, you can alt+tab away from the game; it won't minimize anymore, but it switches Halo to the background, which is why you need another open window to switch to.  Also worth noting, if your computer is hosting the game server, all the guests will get a serious but brief lag spike both when you alt+tab to the background and when you come back to the game.  Anyway, this is definitely a worthwhile post to make sure people know about its usefulness.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:11:40 PM by Defender aka Aegis »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage

Nice idea.

Note, tho, that if you have a lower-end graphics setup you might NOT want to do this for two reasons:

1) If you're currently running in a lower Halo resolution setting (e.g. 800x600) and you run it in a higher window size setting your graphics setup will be doing a lot more work, hence your performance might suffer.

2) Some graphics setups get "messed up" and have a hard time dealing with oddball resolution settings, like say 1 pixel less than a "usual" resolution setting, and will "punt" to SW to do the work instead.  (And, of course, that means lower graphics performance, once again....)

Just a "head's up" for any/all that might do this....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print