Print 

Author Topic: Games that made you just go "Whoa...."  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Flops

• Posts Too Much
  • ...This floor tastes funny
Re: Games that made you just go "Whoa...."
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »
I hate pay to play online games ^^ Personal preference though

Do you mean MMORPG's or all online games in general? :?:

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
MMorpg...Some strategy games are aight, but i generally get bored after a month or  so and find a new one :P

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline FaDe

• Junior Poster
  • There is a spoon, I've just misplaced it.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »

Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. Just for the ingenious game play alone. This game certainly made me go "Woah"...it was the little things really. I don't if any of you guys have played it, but there was this one boss "Psycho Mantis" an evil psychic who proved his powers by asking you (the gamer) to place your joy pad on the ground, he then began to move the joypad across the floor (all smoke and mirrors really, as it was just the rumble pack in the joypad vibrating). I was so freaked out the first time I experienced this, just one of the many encounters in this game that made me go "Woah". Hideo Kojima, the legend behind the MGS series really pushes the boundarys of gaming by breaking the third wall between game and gamer.

BFM_Wic

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 07:42:41 AM »
For games that didn't cost a lot and surprised me?

Blackhawk Down.  $9.99 and its amazing.  Lol.

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 09:11:53 AM »
These three are from the original PS days, but were highly innovative in their design and gameplay.

The first is Parasite Eve, a combonation of Survival Horror and RPG. Combat was done in an active time, 3D battle system where you could manuever  your character to avoid attacks and give yourself a better firing position.

The second is the sequel, basically updated the system so you no longer went into a 'battle' bubble with every encounter. Also gave more flexibility with firearms and PE (parasite energies) to allow for more fluid game play.

The final one is also from Squaresoft, though it wasn't considered a hit, even though design, game play and artistic style were all brillant. It was Vagrant Story. A third person, single player RPG that has been refered to as being Midieval-Gear Solid. Attacks could be chained together to do everything from drain enemies health to you, repair your weapon, do status effects, ect. On top of that there was an incredible involve weapon creation/maintenence system where you could combine different materials to create more powerful blades that would then be attached to different mounts and given augmentation stones to change what they had an affinity to. And if that wasn't cool enough, the more you used certain weapons against certain types of enemies, the more of an affinity the weapon would get for them, and the more damage it would do. While this may seem like ove micro managing it worked seemlessly. And a ready supply of workshops with universal storage boxes made switching out blades, spears, crossbows, axes, ect an easy task for the right situation.

Offline Coyote

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
Flops, I believe this is the video you seek.  :zoid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAFgh2iPl_A

Enjoy.

As for games...

Halo. Need I say more on this one?

Quake 2. The gameplay and visuals really grabbed me and I still play it on occasion even today.

MechWarrior 3. I loved the salvage system. I honestly believe I spent more time picking through salvage than I did playing the game. The mech shop was the other best most awesome part of the game. Fav mech: Blackhawk w/ no jumpjets (make room for everything else) monocoque frame, 14-16 clan ER M-Lasers, and enough clan double heatsinks to handle a constant barrage from them. And with the monocoque frame you've got enough weight left over for some good, solid armor.

Offline Bobob2009

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »
crysis
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2509.html
-bob-
p.s. watch some of the vids, you'll understand

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 04:25:14 PM »
I Agree with Gryphon and Mxy.. GO OBLIVION! Great game that, although i made myself armour that made me 100% Charmeleon so i could basically do whatever i wanted because nobody could see me :)

I remember Descent and Descent 2. Olden times. But it was very good for the time and probably lead the way for other games that followed.

Freelancer, yeah loved that one. Good alround play.

AOEs were pretty good too. Nice for Multiplayer anyway.

Transport Tycoon - It's different to all other games, more like SimCity but lots of fun. We still have it and i got a patch so it works on XP toO!

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline Xopher.tm

• Newbie Poster
  • Your Camp-Fu is weak...
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 03:01:39 PM »
Duke Nukem 3D and the Marathon trilogy.

That's right, I kick it oldschool.
BFM application submitted 2007-10-18.

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 03:37:46 PM »
I'm going to have to add Final Fantasy XII to this list, simply because the music was wonderful, graphics had that unique style first found in Vagrant Story, plot was deep, didn't involve a teenage romance, the active time enviroment combat system frankly rocked, and the freedom to assign any character to any weapon set was wonderful. It's one of those that had such a beautiful art direction that it just had to be played. Plus it's a good 40 hours of game play, so you will get you money's worth.

Offline Rázgrěz

• Senior Poster
  • I am the Razgriz
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
AOE 3, love it, just the graphics suck with my onboard Geforce4..... but its still a blast to play
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:55:32 PM by Rázgrěz »

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »
I Agree with Gryphon and Mxy.. GO OBLIVION! Great game that, although i made myself armour that made me 100% Charmeleon so i could basically do whatever i wanted because nobody could see me :)

Who need Chameleon when I have armor that reflects 80% damage back to the enemy. Now that's a set of armor.

Offline Xopher.tm

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 07:37:42 AM »
I totally forgot American McGee's Alice.

Suh-weeeeeeeeeeeet...

Offline Cr@zy

• Senior Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »
I gotta go with ace combat: the Unsung war, i just overly like Jet games!

Thanks H@ngm@n Soooo much for the Awesome sig!

Offline Xopher.tm

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 04:00:27 PM »
Pong.

I tell ya, it was a sensation at the time.

Print