Print 

Author Topic: Reformatting  (Read 1986 times)

Offline BDS

• Junior Poster
Reformatting
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:28:32 PM »
That time of year again to reformat the ole puter and was wondering what advice anyone has about installing Vista. I figured if I'm going to reformat, might as well upgrade. I currently have XP Pro, and would love to play Halo2, but haven't heard anything about Vista. (good or bad)
Anyone....anyone......voodoo economics.  Sorry.....Ferris moment.

Thanks for any imput.

BDS

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
Re: Reformatting
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »
Even though I haven't got to play Halo 2 for PC, it does seem like to many people, to be a disappointment.

And as far as different tings on Vista, you could check here. It's a FAQ that I update every so often. If you have a fast computer, then sure, go with Vista. More things are starting to work with it each day (Though plenty of older things still don't). But if you have a slower or older computer, you might want to go with XP again if that's what you had.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:01:40 PM by BFM_Ediseye »

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
I wouldn't get Vista just to play Halo 2. I would switch to Vista in about a year or so, just let Microsoft fix all the problems.

If you still want Vista, go with Ultimate. Comes with much more features, better security as well. I know Ediseye has a FAQ thread that you should check out.

BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »
Halo 2 can be played on XP with a special patch (not official, of course).
If it works, it's said to give ~30% performance boost because of the lack of Vista bloat.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:22:35 AM »

Some here are going to be AMAZED at what I'm about to say:

Get Vista.

Why?

Because if you're REFORMATTING and not getting another computer to run it on, YOU WILL THEFORE HAVE A CHOICE on whichever one you want to run & keep, or switch, or w/e forever after! (I.e. Your existing XP license is good forever on that machine, so you can go BACK to it if you need/want to....)

The only reason that I see to NOT get Vista is the $$, but if you're the "experimenter" type, ... go for it!

I'd also say "wait for the SP to be released first," but then, ppl have died waiting for it so far, so I see no reason to wait.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:19:45 AM »
as a vista user. i can give recomendations
but tbh a dual core processor, and 2gb of ram is gunna be recomended by me. also with gfx above 256 mb

and im sure you dont need me to advise you to get the upgrade advisor for vista, (will show you compatability issues and such)

Offline Kozmo

• Junior Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »
Hmmmm... I am running Halo 2 on XP pro SP2 - with no problems whatsoever  :yesyes:

However - so far I have only played the first level... :/

I will supply you with some more information tomorrow as I no longer remember what I did to make it work anymore.

I would love to research it now but it's almost 3:00am here and I need to get some zZZzzzzZZzzzz's... Sorry!  :'(

Edit: If your considering moving to Vista, first ask yourself: "Do I find Windoze XP easy to yous, and does it do everything I want/need it to do"? If the answer is yes.. well - what do you think that means? :)

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that Vista carries on the normal Windoze trend... This meaning that it takes more recourses to run pretty much any program. Or, in very simple language - on average stuff a tiny bit runs slower on Vista compared to XP.

Here is a very good link that shows the performance difference from XP to VISTA
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

One last note - if you want to get Vista because it looks really sleek, cool and easy to use - there are pleanty of ways to make XP look very similar. Eg.
http://bronch.com/downloads/risherz/vista2.0.gif

*I am not a Vista owner - I have only used vista for less than 10 mins myself, so I am not in any way an expert in this feild.*
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:22:13 AM by BFM_Kozmo »

Offline Kozmo

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
I'm sorry, I've had a look around and believe that the ways I have read of making Halo 2 work conflict with certain laws - so this is something I will definitely not post about. I can however give you this link - but it has dead links within :/
http://nikon.bungie.org/news.html?item=18626

Offline BDS

• Junior Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »
Hey, thanks for all the great input guys. I appreciate everyones opinion very much. I do think I will hold off on purchasing Vista for now and just reformat again with XP.  As far as playing H2 with XP Kozmo, I too have it installed on XP. There is a fix for it that is not illegal, but it only allows a person to play the first campaign. Just thought I would poke around and see what people thought of Vista. 

Thanks again everyone!!

BDS

Print