Print 

Author Topic: Screen Name Display V.S. Representation or the meaning of the Name.  (Read 894 times)

Offline Stone_Cold

• Newbie Poster
It is my understanding that will racing in the BFM servers, you are only allowed to use names that are offensive. I was racing in on of the BFM servers and there was a racing that was named “Eminem.”  Although there is nothing wrong with the name, the representation or the meaning of the name is what concerns me the most.  For instance, I would assume if some one came to the racing server with the Name “3 letter (Which are right after L)” I would assume he/ or she would not be racing for very long if a BFM saw that. The name itself is not bad, however representation of the name and meaning of the name that everyone associates with it, it becomes an offensive term.  My reason for asking this question is because I know that Eminem was in the news and being accused of “Hate Lyrics.”  Obviously the three letter name motioned earlier and Eminem has something in common.  In my opinion this would make Eminem an offensive name to use.  I did not say anything at this time because I was unsure if Eminem was a good name to use.  I posted it here because obviously the BFM team has the finally say so whether or not a name is good to use of bad to use. 
And thats the Bottom line, cus BFM said so

Offline Stone_Cold

• Newbie Poster
sorry the name i was refferencing (Which are right after L)”  should be before  the letter L. 
And thats the Bottom line, cus BFM said so

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.

I would not ask an Eminem to change their name as soon as they joined. As far as I know, the rapper is not associated with the terrorist group, and it would be a stretch to say the name is offensive because of what the person has sung about. If that were the case, most rapper names would not be allowed in our servers. If we scrutinized all names like that, many of them would not be allowed. Almost everything can be twisted into something inappropriate.

Now if Eminem joined and started making racist comments, it would be handled accordingly. But New001 could make the same comments and receive the same attention from the admins. I don't believe Eminem is known for "hate lyrics", more for just being generally offensive. For that reason, an admin might decide to keep an eye on any Eminem in the server, see if they're going to stick to some Eminem theme, but the name itself isn't really making any statements.

Direct references to very offensive things would not be allowed obviously. An inoffensive name that could reasonably be linked to something offensive will be discussed and is mostly up to the admin (admin discretion). I understand what you're saying about the name and why someone might choose it, but its link to something offensive is too obscure to put a blanket ban on the name.

Print