Print 

Author Topic: I got kicked tonight because admin thought my name was a drug reference  (Read 1503 times)

Offline ACMD-Wilder

• Newbie Poster
Dudes,

This is so absurd, I have had the name ACMD (all campers must die) for yrs in online gaming, and have been playing quite happily with the other BFM fans for months.

Now I get kicked for a drug reference by an admin named BFM-Xan short for xanax (benzodiazepines) which is a drug reference.

This isnt making a lot of sense, I dont mind being kicked for capping a camper, but getting kicked for this has really peeved me off.

ACMD-WILDER

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: I got kicked tonight because admin thought my name was a drug reference
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »

Wilder.

ACMD apparently is an acronym for Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs.    I think it's obscure enough, and not really the type of drug reference we are talking about - we are more concerned with names of recreational drugs.  I'll have to check with the admins that were in the server and see what their reasoning was, in case there's something else I'm not aware of.  I don't think there should be a problem with your tags. 

Admins have to make calls in servers, and our admins are all ages and backgrounds.  We train people to not look too hard for name changes, but with your tags not having an obvious meaning, they probably googled it and all they could see was reference to drugs, so they made the call.

Like I said, I'll check with the admins and see what the full story is.   Until then, if you're asked to change your name pls comply for now, but I think we can sort this out.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »
So you come here to complain about your name being taken as a drug reference?  Fair enough...but then you turn around and do the exact same thing?  Really?  Do really want us to take your concern seriously?  At least when our admin made that call, whether he was right or whether he was mistaken, he did it in good faith.  Your accusation, whether it is right or not, is just retaliation.  If you have a concern just bring it to us rationally...don't play games.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline ACMD-Wilder

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Dude

I did bring it to the forum, thats why we are discussing this. As for a drug advisory council I had to google that. The Xanax dig was a quick reaction certainly. But Xan(ax) is  more obvious to players than ACMD, which actually sounds like a sensible institution.

ACMD-WILDER

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
I said bring it to us RATIONALLY, not with knee jerk accusations that have nothing to do with the real issue.  There are no fewer than a dozen different common meanings of the term Xan, including being characters in 3 or 4 different video games, but which is the first meaning that comes to your mind...especially when it is obvious we are in a video game community?  Yea, what is pretty obvious is that you are just retaliating.

Listen, there is nothing wrong with your name so feel free to keep it.  Now that Xan (and all the ohter admins) know this you should not have the same problem again.  However, if this is the way you generally react to people who are just trying to do their job and provide a clean place for the public to race then don't be surprised if you eventually wear out your welcome.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline ACMD-Wilder

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
Booyah,

Thank you very much for sorting out the issues with my name, and thanks to the other admins for letting me carry on using it.

Regards
ACMD-WILDER

Print