Print 

Author Topic: Sound fluctuations  (Read 668 times)

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
Sound fluctuations
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:48:57 AM »
I'm a computer dummy, and have been having this problem for maybe 9 to 10 months. What is happening is I'll be playing a game (Halo, CoD or WoW) and the sound is normal, then sometimes (about ever 30 seconds to a minute) the sound gets muffled or sounds dull (not as sharp and clear as it should normally be) for about 20 seconds then goes back to normal (in some cases stays that way). One thing I found out that got it to go back to normal for a little bit was hitting my vent hot key two times quickly and the click, honk noise that vent produces when you hit you hotkey usually helps it go back to normal. and then about 20 to 30 seconds later it will go back to being muffled or dull sounding.

I did notice that I'm always on vent, does that factor into it somehow?

And i think someone said before to go into my sounds settings or properties and make sure it is something or the other. I have no idea how to do that and no idea what the sounds settings should be set at.

I did do a quick google search for a solution.

what i came up with was:

One of the things you can try is Click on start, then RUN, in the box type "dxdiag", then Ok. run the sound test there, it might give you some leads as to what is going on.

and a few other sites suggested to others to install sound driver updates.

is any of this necessary or even in the right field to possibly fixing it?

is it even a software thing? or is it possible that I somehow changed a setting?

Print