Print 

Author Topic: 100% CPU usage *Re-opened*  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
Re: 100% CPU usage
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
Ah. I'm more of a FPS kinda guy. I know a little about trouble shooting ping lag but...I'm sure Mxy will post something epic to help. (That means you must Mxy) :P

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: 100% CPU usage- haven't been able to play Halo in 2 weeks!
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
SpeedTest Results:

To New York, New York- 37ms 1203 Kb/s

to Texas- 74ms 1053 Kb/s

To Chicago, Il- 43ms .8Mb/s

to LA, California- 130ms 830 Kb/s

*** i uninstalled and reinstalled Halo and i have alot less lag, im gonna reboot and see if it fixed it***

****** it did help but i still get very high lag******

1) If those numbers are from SpeedTest.net, you wasted your time... they're garbage.  (FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AT THE THREAD POSTED!)

2) It's useless to test to multiple cities: The point is to test to the city NEAREST YOU to check your Line Speed. (NOT how well the Internet is working itself!)

3) Uninstalling and reinstalling does more harm than good here.... YOu're changing unknown parameters w/o any tracking, recording, or scientific method here....  (And UN-/RE-installing is useless unless you also DELETE ALL YOUR HALO PROFILES....)

4) You started off saying that it's your network, so stick to your assumption until its proven wrong, and work on THE NETWORK connection/setting/setup/whatever to see what's wrong, or start from the top and do some trial-and-error testing to actually narrow down the problem, and then finer tests ON THAT PART OF THE SYSTEM w/o making ANY other changes.

If you change a bunch of things at once you're putting the dirt back into the hole you just dug....

GL!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
Re: 100% CPU usage- haven't been able to play Halo in 2 weeks!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »
1) If those numbers are from SpeedTest.net, you wasted your time... they're garbage.  (FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AT THE THREAD POSTED!)

nope those aren't from speedtest.net they are from dslreports (from the thread u directed me towards) (and SpeedTest was supposed to be speed tests.. forgot the 'space')

*i noticed that this started over 2 weeks ago when my mom started getting these weird "look and see" im gonna see what i can do to stop her from putting them on bc i notice the CPU is a little slower. if i do remove them all, then hopefully i will improvements.

**i have been trying lots of things bc im starting to get bored. having not been able to race or admin for 2 weeks annoys me. i feel like im not pitching in. im available but i cant go into a server to help out... plus Soccer Season 3 is happening and i don't think I'll be able to play :-\ and trying several things and not working.

this is the strangest thing to happen to my computer that isn't a virus.

i really appreciate everyone's help so far but im clueless on what and why this is happening. i hope i somehow come up with a smart idea and sort this out

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »
i unhooked my router to my xbox for XboxLIVE and rebooted my modem sorta helped but not much i can race on some maps in some servers.

i no longer think it is a connection problem i think it is a PC problem... im going to run a full scale scan later tonight ( all other scans i did were quick scans, i need a password to run the full scan.)

i also removed about 5 -7% more off the hard drive...

my CPU usage while playing Halo and not lagging (ie on Death Island and Bloodgluch weren't lagging for me) was really close to 100% which is weird. maps that make me lag are Timberland, and Infinity and Ice Fields... i only got to race the maps i have said above terrible i know  :-\

back to the scan... hopefully i will find something and get rid of it, even though u dont wanna find viruses, this will hopefully make sense of this mayhem of lag...

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
I checked my computer.  When I join a game my CPU is around 10-15%.

High CPU usage during a game - couldn't that be from video settings.  If your video card can't do everything itself in hardware, it will use the CPU to do it in software.  Try turning the video settings right down.  Set your desktop AND halo resolution to 800x600, etc. and see if you can improve it that way.

Norton is a big hog, maybe try to disable it for a short while to see if that's the cause.  If so I'd expect the Norton processes to show high CPU, not halo.exe.

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »
Norton is a big hog, maybe try to disable it for a short while to see if that's the cause.  If so I'd expect the Norton processes to show high CPU, not halo.exe.

i have tried turning norton partly off and did help much, i will try again...

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »
ok, a little bit of an update...

so internet is fine with all the other games i play. and when i did get to actually race on Halo it was only on maps like Death Island and Blood Gulch. when i walk im fine but when i rive my ping skyrockets into the 1000's to 2000's.

i have run scans and still have not found a virus (not that i want there to be one but if i did find one it would explain a lot!!)

still haven't been able to really race. (i have run out of ideas and i think everyone else has as well) the only solution i think i need to do is forget this turtle and buy a new one all for me! :evil: (but by the time imake enough money with my current job that would take me a good while :-\

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »
Well, I started having this problem, and I was looking for ways to get my CP Usage down. The way that I solved it was by cleaning up my desktop. I moved all my shortcuts and whatnots to folders(ie: My Documents,My Pictures) things like that.
And now it went away, so maybe try that. :)

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 05:49:35 PM »
that worked for when im on foot. but when im in and driving a hog my ping skyrockets!... this is making no sense.  :-\

Offline HogZlla

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 05:55:07 AM »
Hurry up Mig...missin you on the tracks!

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 12:00:18 PM »
Hurry up Mig...missin you on the tracks!

i know! this has been going on for over a month now. im going to defrag unplug my printer or turn it off (i think this maybe be the cause bc i noticed that when we kept it on all the time this started, so hopefully this is the answer!)

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

I had an HP printer a few years back that had 4 or 5 processes running, and one of them would use a lot of CPU from time to time.  It was an HP photo printer.

Takes a bit of research, but many of those processes are not required for printing.

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 12:47:01 PM »

I had an HP printer a few years back that had 4 or 5 processes running, and one of them would use a lot of CPU from time to time.  It was an HP photo printer.

Takes a bit of research, but many of those processes are not required for printing.

i have a HP Photosmart Express printer. turned it off, no change so ill look into the processes that i could end.

I also found a way to Temporarily turn off my Norton scans that run CONSTANTLY! i raced a little in a server that onl;y had 3 guests but still had zero lag, then i joined a different full server and had a good bit of lag.

So, i think i found one of the factors for my lag. NORTON! :argh:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »

If the other players in a server have high pings (200+ is all it takes in some servers) you might experience "lag" even tho your ping is low(er.)

So be sure to do your "testing" in a server where 1) you have a consistent ping yourself, and 2) other players in the server have similar (or lower) pings....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Glêññ Z

• Senior Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »
well i'm definitly not the expert here but i do know that thoes computer guys can do alot.
dont use geek squad they have a tendency of damaging cp's [depending on where you live] so they can get more$$$$$$$$. i dont like that they do it on the east cost but here its good.

hope you get it fixed so we can race.

your friend
 glenn

Print