Print 

Author Topic: The Rig I am Thinking About Getting.  (Read 12969 times)

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
Re: The Rig I am Thinking About Getting.
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »
For that kind of money, you could (at least here in NZ) get a decent 120-160GB SSD and one or two F3 drives; and even the F3s wouldn't be much different performance wise (but at a fraction of the cost.)

But SDD drives are like HEAPS expensive?

Read an article a couple of days ago, with the headline something like "SSD cost to be $1/GB in 2012."

In short, SSD production is starting to ramp up very quickly and cheaper materials and methods are coming off the "drawing boards" and into production.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy an SSD for a while....

Are my Raptors a good choice?

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »
[...]

Dunno.  Which do you prefer: a good price, with a lot of storage (e.g. 2TB for US$60), or an expensive price with faster data accesses (OVER US$1/GB for 150GB)?

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 03:03:19 AM »
[...]

Dunno.  Which do you prefer: a good price, with a lot of storage (e.g. 2TB for US$60), or an expensive price with faster data accesses (OVER US$1/GB for 150GB)?

Is 7200rpm fast? Tech nub :P

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 05:27:45 AM »
If you've got a fairly nice CPU on with your rig(which you do) You won't even really notice the different to much, I'd just go with standard Hard Disks instead of Solid Slates..

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
[...]

>sigh< The rotational speed of a hard disk drive (HDD) only effects a portion of its speed.

Suffice to say that 7200 rpm is "the norm" for HDDs right now.  (You can get 10,000 rpm drives, but again, WHY?!  They're likely more subject to fail, and fail earlier than the more standard, less "pushed-past-the-limit" 10,000 rpm drives....)

And again, given that SDDs will basically begin to REPLACE HDDs (having become cost-equivalent) SOMETIME NEXT YEAR...

WAIT!

Buy a capable, adequate, reasonable-cost HDD now, and UPGRADE IT NEXT YEAR*.

* Do the upgrade as an add-on, thusly: Image the old (HDD) drive to the new (SDD) drive; Confirm all is fine with the new (SDD) drive running your computer; the wipe the OLD (HDD) drive and use it for additional/occasional storage of static data, OR keep it as a backup device....

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 09:27:04 PM »
[...]

>sigh< The rotational speed of a hard disk drive (HDD) only effects a portion of its speed.

Suffice to say that 7200 rpm is "the norm" for HDDs right now.  (You can get 10,000 rpm drives, but again, WHY?!  They're likely more subject to fail, and fail earlier than the more standard, less "pushed-past-the-limit" 10,000 rpm drives....)

And again, given that SDDs will basically begin to REPLACE HDDs (having become cost-equivalent) SOMETIME NEXT YEAR...

WAIT!

Buy a capable, adequate, reasonable-cost HDD now, and UPGRADE IT NEXT YEAR*.

* Do the upgrade as an add-on, thusly: Image the old (HDD) drive to the new (SDD) drive; Confirm all is fine with the new (SDD) drive running your computer; the wipe the OLD (HDD) drive and use it for additional/occasional storage of static data, OR keep it as a backup device....

Ohhh ok, I get it now :)

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:20 PM »
About time to update your rig post buddy. :)

And if you wish add some prices so we can look at the overall and individual prices of the parts you buy. Guys here might be able to help you shop around and get the best deal.

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 01:47:01 AM »
Sure thing :)

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
OK, I think I am going to get the parts soon. Is it a good rig? Anything I can change for the better?

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline BruinX

• Regular Poster
  • "Veni, Vidi, Vici"
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
short of spending more money on a better graphics card, it looks pretty good. One thing you may think about though is a better cpu cooler. the stock intel ones are rubbish :)

EDIT: Dude, save yourself $100 and get a 2500K, my guess you dont do a lot of hardcore video editing/rendering/heavy multitasking, so you wont be needing the hyperthreading, which is the only difference.

Then you can get something like this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1164&products_id=17084
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:05:10 PM by BruinX »
Kid buys arizona tea,
other kid throws it in woods,
original kid looks in woods for it,
comes back crying.

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 11:36:31 PM »

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline BruinX

• Regular Poster
  • "Veni, Vidi, Vici"
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »
yep thats the one :)
Kid buys arizona tea,
other kid throws it in woods,
original kid looks in woods for it,
comes back crying.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »

...Almost five pages in now, and by the time you order your "kit" everything will be out-of-date!

:siderofl:

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2011, 01:52:29 AM »
LOL. I thought you said it didn't matter, and that it is best to get the one step down generation :P

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »
LOL. I thought you said it didn't matter, and that it is best to get the one step down generation :P

Ya, but we'll be using hovercars by the time this gets built!

:siderofl:

Print